3.6L radiator replacement options

Wethy

Hey I've noticed that my '14 has a small leak on the rad in top drivers side top corner like a lot of others have had. Unfortunately I'm out of warranty so I'm wondering what everyone's opinions are on replacements. I have searched the forums and prices most had theirs replaced under warranty, so do I go OEM or is there a better brand that some of you may have went with?

RyanAZ

I have a 3.8 and replaced mine with a Mishimoto aluminum one. My factory side tank had cracked so I wanted all metal side tanks and I live in AZ so I wanted a thicker core. I replaced it a year ago and just had to replace it again yesterday because of a leak in the core (can't tell if it's a defect or an impact). They have a lifetime warranty so it didn't cost me anything this time. Fit is good and is an easy install.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeeeep

Hooked
unfortunately Mishimoto may have a great warranty but I've seen too many have to use that warranty often and not just on Jeeps - they seem to have a QC issue for as expensive as they are.

Check out Griffin and Wizard cooling. I've used Griffin in past Jeeps and trucks and they've always held up well.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I've got 86,000 miles on my 2012 JK and have no leaks. I had well over 100,000 miles my 2007 JK and had no leaks. While I have seen and heard of people having leaks on their radiators, I personally would still opt for an OE replacement. Griffins are really nice but they're super expensive and if money is no object, that would be something to consider.

Wethy

I've got 86,000 miles on my 2012 JK and have no leaks. I had well over 100,000 miles my 2007 JK and had no leaks. While I have seen and heard of people having leaks on their radiators, I personally would still opt for an OE replacement. Griffins are really nice but they're super expensive and if money is no object, that would be something to consider.

I have also read about fitment issues with the Mishimoto rads. One question for you Eddie; are the rads both the same for the 3.6 and 3.8? And surprisingly it seems like a lot of 14's had issues with the rads in the same place. Makes me think it could just have been a manufacturing issue that year. :S but I did make it to 120,000 kilometers (about 75,000 miles) and I will most likely go OEM I just figured if there was a decent aftermarket I'd go that route

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have also read about fitment issues with the Mishimoto rads. One question for you Eddie; are the rads both the same for the 3.6 and 3.8? And surprisingly it seems like a lot of 14's had issues with the rads in the same place. Makes me think it could just have been a manufacturing issue that year. :S but I did make it to 120,000 kilometers (about 75,000 miles) and I will most likely go OEM I just figured if there was a decent aftermarket I'd go that route

Sorry, not 100% sure but I'm pretty sure the radiators are the same for the 3.8 and 3.6 or at least, from about 2008-up. The fans are definitely different but to the best of my knowledge, that's it.

aermotor

I got a junkyard one when my old 3.8 got a leak. Was cheap and worked fine. I've read a lot of issues with certain 'better' aftermarket radiators so I just stuck with a used OEM.

Top Bottom