Lost all functions from both multi switches briefly

moteaux

So, I normally don't do the paid washes, but I had some time and was feeling lazy so I dropped my 2014 JKUS at a hand wash place, walked down the street for some BBQ and let them do their thing. I came back an hour later and my jeep was ready.

As I drove off down the street, I noticed my turn signals weren't working. I pulled over and both plugs were firmly attached. Then I tried the lights from the signal stalk and nothing, the wipers didn't work from the other stalk. My dealership was a couple miles down the road so I went there instead of just sitting on the side of the road. Sure enough a quick plug in to the OBD port and all kinds of codes. Since I was not hanging my hind parts out in traffic anymore, I check d the fuse. M15 multi switch 20a yellow was completely fine. I had a doctor appointment so I went to it while using my old fashioned hand signals and getting weird looks from other motorists like I was some 80s robot break dancer. Luckily I still had brake lights. If I still lived in the Middle East it wouldn't have mattered. No signals or brake lights and I would fit right in.

After the appointment my plan was to go home and pull the switch and test for power to each multi switch, then trace back. BUT... I get about 3 miles from home and everything starts working. Me thinks something wet is now dry. But what?

The only thing "new" in the lighting area is that after an accident, I replaced the RSE bumper with a PS. I put new fogs in the bumpers and wired the pigtails with correct plugs to the factory fog light connectors. I covered my butt connectors with corrugated plastic protection and "some" electrical tape. This is where I think the culprit may have been. I went home and undid the zip tie wiring bundle up under the front bumper and did a much better job of wrapping and sealing the connections.

Everything is good for now but I guess I'm curios if anyone knows anything else that may have caused the issue that I should check out? Don't want be going down the road and left blind by my lights failing again.

TIA
Moteaux

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

boardsurfer

Sounds like your connections were done well, maybe the plastic tubing held some water and eventually drained out from driving around.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Being that this is the first time you've experienced it and it came on the heels of a wash, it'd be hard not to assume that it wasn't a water related issue. Glad to hear that things are good again and if I could guess, they'll stay that way.

moteaux

Sounds like your connections were done well, maybe the plastic tubing held some water and eventually drained out from driving around.

I think they were done well. My electrical skills are ok, but by no means professional. My only other guess is maybe one of the signal lens retained some water that caused the issue.

Being that this is the first time you've experienced it and it came on the heels of a wash, it'd be hard not to assume that it wasn't a water related issue. Glad to hear that things are good again and if I could guess, they'll stay that way.

Keeping my fingers crossed that you're correct. And I've reinforced the the weatherproofing so let's see what happens.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:
Top Bottom