2012 jk sport front LCA with cam bolts.

10abadilla/jk

I have a 2012 jeep jk sport I bought used a while ago. The jeep has a 2.5in BDS lift. Anyways my steering has become very flighty since I put the 35s on. I was going to upgrade to adjustable LCA. As I looked under the jeep I realized the jeep has cam bolts. Is that something standard? Is that how they come off the lot? What can I do now in order to adjust? Right now the cam bolts are set with the bigger side facing to the rear of the jeep.
The picture is hard to see.
20170108_105636-1.jpg

Sent from my LG-H900 using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
The bolts are likely not factory, but there is a factory slot the can be knocked out, so likely someone did that. I would weld washers over those holes instead and get purchase some adjustable arms. Those knockout ovaled holes just allow for potential movement. As far as your symptom, bigger tires can change the way your Jeep steers. You should check your caster first and see where it is at.

Control_Arm_Hole_After.jpg

10abadilla/jk

The bolts are likely not factory, but there is a factory slot the can be knocked out, so likely someone did that. I would weld washers over those holes instead and get purchase some adjustable arms. Those knockout ovaled holes just allow for potential movement. As far as your symptom, bigger tires can change the way your Jeep steers. You should check your caster first and see where it is at.

View attachment 240569
Is there a specific grade washer I should get? I am definitely going to weld washers on it?

WJCO

Meme King
Is there a specific grade washer I should get? I am definitely going to weld washers on it?

At least grade 8. If you buy online, just make sure the seller uses Us steel. For a bolt that large, I like using a thicker washer to support the bolt like the one pictured below. Also make sure the bolt fits tight, a 14mm washer sometimes has an ID that is a little larger. You don't want slop. You could even buy a 13mm, and drill it out to 14mm on a vise.

IMG_20170124_143634_968.jpg

I'm assuming it's a 14mm bolt. Our JK is.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As WJCO stated, there's no way your Jeep came with cam bolts from the factory. More than likely, it came with your lift kit and was installed to help give you a bit more positive caster. I would definitely have washers or a piece of steel welded onto the mounts to make them square holes again prior to installing adjustable control arms. If you're in a pinch, you could have the cam washers welded but they're most likely zinc plated and you'll need to take that into consideration.

J

JKDream

Just popping in here, BDS lift myself. They do come with cam bolts, and they can cause some issues. I would actually recommend replacing the LCA brackets instead of welding washers on. Something along the lines of artec. OEM brackets are already quite flimsy.

Sent from my Le X821 using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Just popping in here, BDS lift myself. They do come with cam bolts, and they can cause some issues. I would actually recommend replacing the LCA brackets instead of welding washers on. Something along the lines of artec. OEM brackets are already quite flimsy.

I don't know if I'd go that far. Over the last 10 years, I've seen plenty of control arm mounts welded up after having cam bolts installed and they worked fine. If you're worried about them being flimsy, you can always bolt up Rancho skids or have something like EVO skids welded on.

J

JKDream

I don't know if I'd go that far. Over the last 10 years, I've seen plenty of control arm mounts welded up after having cam bolts installed and they worked fine. If you're worried about them being flimsy, you can always bolt up Rancho skids or have something like EVO skids welded on.
This works as well. I just like the idea of a new bracket that's 1/4" personally. If you can weld it's a cheap mod. I've torn mine off though so I didn't have a choice lol.

Sent from my Le X821 using WAYALIFE mobile app

10abadilla/jk

As WJCO stated, there's no way your Jeep came with cam bolts from the factory. More than likely, it came with your lift kit and was installed to help give you a bit more positive caster. I would definitely have washers or a piece of steel welded onto the mounts to make them square holes again prior to installing adjustable control arms. If you're in a pinch, you could have the cam washers welded but they're most likely zinc plated and you'll need to take that into consideration.
I'll probably weld the cam washers to the brackets. Thank you.

10abadilla/jk

Yea I agree. I don't think I'm going to go that far. I may weld on skids though.

10abadilla/jk

From looking at it the ground looked level but with these measurements I don't think the ground was very level. One side upper ball joint Screenshot_2017-01-24-17-54-33.jpg
Pinion. Screenshot_2017-01-24-17-57-25.jpg
And the other upper ball joint was at 0. I'm going to try and go to a parking lot. The reason I am posting these is so I can try and figure out where to weld the washer on the brackets being that the hole is huge now thanks to the cam bolt.

jeeeep

Hooked
buy some weld washers, they're cheap and will hold up better to the welding than those cambolt washers
be sure to paint with rustoleum after welding

jesse3638

Hooked
Hasn't been mentioned but you described flighty steering after the installation of 35's. What tire pressure are you running? Though the problem may be with your lift and the cam bolts, over inflated tires can cause similar symptoms.

Top Bottom