Decisions, decisions...

Jimmypaget

I can't make up my mind whether or not I want to get the RH sportcage or a tire carrier/bumper as the next upgrade. I can't afford the PR44 at all yet, so that's dropping down a peg on the list. Rolling with the 37" spare on that rear gate is whats making me lean toward the carrier though.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
I can't make up my mind whether or not I want to get the RH sportcage or a tire carrier/bumper as the next upgrade. I can't afford the PR44 at all yet, so that's dropping down a peg on the list. Rolling with the 37" spare on that rear gate is whats making me lean toward the carrier though.

I would like to get a sport cage myself. Seeing that you do have 37's I might go the carrier route.

Jimmypaget

I would like to get a sport cage myself. Seeing that you do have 37's I might go the carrier route.

Yeah my reasoning behind the cage are that it would be much easier to get it by the wife by saying its for extra safety, however that may make me want to push it harder than I probably should. The carrier will kinda be for damage control on the tailgate.

Jimmypaget

Right! It's only a matter of time until something breaks in that factor setup. Either the bracket, the plastic carrier, or tailgate. Now comes which one! I really like the EVO one however, It does come at the higher price. Maybe I'll go to the new style they came out with recently... :idontknow: Because I like the body mounted one that requires the corners as well! Ahh too many options! Because then there's the PS one that is similar to the EVO body mounted one.

Carrier hands down. I had a 35 on my stock carrier and it started to sound like the tailgate was just going to break off when I hit big bumps in the road!

OhNoTheJiggies

Tough decision. If you wheel a lot but not too far from home(meaning you don't have to pack for multi night trips and have room for your spare inside, or can deal with it on the gate), then get the cage. But I would do that skyjacker thing... I have an extra ball hitch that I've been thinking about welding on a little bit of steel to achieve the same purpose, so if you can do that and get extended bumpstops(the ones on the gate...isolators maybe?) you should be good for a little longer. I had 37s on the stock carrier for a while without, then added stops, then removed it all together because I work 2 miles from work and wheel close by for the time being, so I can save up for the tire carrier and toss it in the back when I go wheel.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Evil

Id go for the carrier or tire cage before the roll cage, chances are your tire is going to fall off before you end up on your lid. Plus the cage is a good install when its a little warmer out.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'd have to agree with those recommending a tire carrier. A cage is great to have but truth be told, most people will never need one. If I could guess, neither will you. Save up and get one when you can.

Jimmypaget

Tough decision. If you wheel a lot but not too far from home(meaning you don't have to pack for multi night trips and have room for your spare inside, or can deal with it on the gate), then get the cage. But I would do that skyjacker thing... I have an extra ball hitch that I've been thinking about welding on a little bit of steel to achieve the same purpose, so if you can do that and get extended bumpstops(the ones on the gate...isolators maybe?) you should be good for a little longer. I had 37s on the stock carrier for a while without, then added stops, then removed it all together because I work 2 miles from work and wheel close by for the time being, so I can save up for the tire carrier and toss it in the back when I go wheel.

Yeah unfortunately I don't have room in the rear cargo area due to the shelf and my cargo area is full of stuff.

I'd have to agree with those recommending a tire carrier. A cage is great to have but truth be told, most people will never need one. If I could guess, neither will you. Save up and get one when you can.

Like you said, I don't wheel hard or often enough to really justify the cage. And I'd rather do the carrier to be honest. Only trouble is figuring out which one. I was just told that the poison spider one puts stress on the passenger side hinge and has broken at that point. Anyone having this issue? I think the EVO one is what I want but just can't see funds for it at the moment.

Jimmypaget

I'm shopping around for the poison spider carrier and for some reason one local shop is trying to push the metal cloak and teraflex hinge tire gate thing saying how strong it is and the poison spider one has weak hinges? Anyone else feel this way? I know some have had bad luck with the teraflex one and the metal cloak one looks like it's basic twin. So I'm steering away from those choices

benatc1

Hooked
the only reason I have a cage and not a tire carrier is because it is what I was given for Christmas. my plan was to but a tire carrier and eventually get a cage as the tire carrier has a higher need. not complaining one bit on how it went down and I love my cage but next on my list (among other necessities) is a tire carrier. so I'd vote tire carrier for you

Sent from my SM-G928V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Jimmypaget

the only reason I have a cage and not a tire carrier is because it is what I was given for Christmas. my plan was to but a tire carrier and eventually get a cage as the tire carrier has a higher need. not complaining one bit on how it went down and I love my cage but next on my list (among other necessities) is a tire carrier. so I'd vote tire carrier for you

Sent from my SM-G928V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Thanks [emoji106]. I'm pretty sure I'll go tire carrier and next thing will be cage.

Jimmypaget

For the guys running the PS or even the EVO tire carrier/cage what have you done about the license plate light issue?

Top Bottom