Things you've done to make your JK safer!!!

Mikecal9985

Well guys, looks like my family is going to be growing by one!!! My wife and I found out we are having our first child!! Now, we all know Jeeps aren't the safest 4x4 out on the road. I was wondering what are some things we could do to toughen up and make our Jeeps safer. I drive a 2011 2dr and my wife has a 2009 JKU. Any input and pics would be highly appreciated!!!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
Congrats on the new kid. I've seen some nasty hits to solid steel bumpers and sliders where the Jeep came out better than the other car by having the added protection. However, I've also heard theories that when you strengthen the outside of the vehicle with stronger steel, the passengers absorb the force instead of the vehicle absorbing it. I'm not an engineer, so I don't know, but the people I know lived to tell the story and were happy they had the extra protection.

tgoss

Most important thing I've done is brakes and headlamps. After that to protect myself an evo sport cage.

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
Rockhard makes a great product. If you're serious about protection, and want to be able to install it in your driveway, the Rockhard sport cage is the way to go IMO. I installed mine in about three hours, taking my time. I had it powder coated to match the yellow of my Jeep (it almost 100% matches :().

The great thing is you can add more pieces depending where you want maximum protection, and save money elsewhere. For example, I don't have a wife or kids, so the back seat is all just the stock cage. However, if in the future I have kids or start taking people off-road, I can buy the rear cage pieces to stiffen it up.

Sadly I'm at work and can't go out to take pictures, but this is the best picture I have of the cage right now.

14329897_10211016601429783_8527881525879578683_n.jpg

Last edited:

GraniteCrystal

Congrats on the kid!

There are two components and two perspectives to safety .

Components #1: Smart technology
Airbags, sensors, backup cameras, etc are all in this category. You can't add airbags to a Jeep. I think the most you can do in this category would be a backup camera so you don't hit anyone/anything in reverse.

Components #2: Dumb technology
Sport cage, sliders, steel bumpers front and rear, even skid plates are all in this category. The basically serve to reinforce the vehicle. These do make the Jeep safer for you (generally speaking...we'll get there).

Perspective #1: Cars should be made more safe for all
In this view, we all should be driving equal-sized cars that don't build up very much momentum and have huge crush zones. But, we have freedom of choice. Which means that, while something big like a Chevy Suburban might get great safety ratings because it's so big and has side curtain airbags, etc it's a huge liability to the dude driving in his smart car. If that Suburban transfers even a little of it's kinetic energy to him and he's in big trouble.

Perspective #2: Cars should be made more safe for me
In this view, I can't account for what the other person is driving so I'm just going to worry about me and my passengers. If a Jeep with a lot of armor gets into a wreck with another SUV, the other SUV will have more damage and the people in the other SUV are more likely to experience harm. Definitely. The reason being that injuries and damage all come down to rates of acceleration/deceleration (technically it comes down to force, but mass is a constant here so it's all about the acceleration/deceleration). By adding steel components that don't crush so easily, the other car is going to decelerate more rapidly than if your Jeep crushed in a bit. As a result, the other car will suffer more damage and the occupants are more likely to be hurt. However, you are no more at fault for their additional injuries and damages than if you had chosen to drive a Chevy Suburban and hit a guy in a smart car. We all get to choose what we drive and how we outfit it (for the most part...don't mount spikes on the outside of your Jeep). The only case in which adding more dumb technology to my Jeep hurts me is if I hit another armored up Jeep or brick wall. In that case, both vehicles are stopping really quickly.

In the end, I've decided the best strategy for my and my family is steel bumpers front and rear, weld on sliders along each side, a sport cage, 37" tires, a backup camera, and Dynatrac ProGrips so I can stop sooner (that's the long term plan)..

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

zimm

Caught the Bug
Not let my wife drive when I'm in the Jeep.

I was going to say that!

Recaro seats and EVO sliders for side impact. ACE 1/4" steel rear bumper. Dynatrac pro grip brakes.

For an infant, check out the Chico Key Fit 30. It has bases that you can leave in the jeeps and pop out junior quickly. When you are ready for a real seat in a year, look at recaro.

Last edited:

jkruiser

I was going to say that!

Recaro seats and EVO sliders for side impact. ACE 1/4" steel rear bumper. Dynatrac pro grip brakes.

For an infant, check out the Chico Key Fit 30. It has bases that you can leave in the jeeps and pop out junior quickly. When you are ready for a real seat in a year, look at recaro.

Please post some pics of the recaro seats. Thanks

Clutch

Caught the Bug
Jeep are safe as any car, probably safer. Are asking about how to be safe while wheeling? Don't bite off more than you can chew is a good place to start.

Sent from my XT1080 using WAYALIFE mobile app

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Well guys, looks like my family is going to be growing by one!!! My wife and I found out we are having our first child!! Now, we all know Jeeps aren't the safest 4x4 out on the road. I was wondering what are some things we could do to toughen up and make our Jeeps safer. I drive a 2011 2dr and my wife has a 2009 JKU. Any input and pics would be highly appreciated!!!
Congrats! A lot of good advice already given if you have a shit load of money to invest. I'm guessing that a young couple expecting their first child would be somewhat limited as to big budget builds for not one, but two Jeeps? I always mounted the car seat in the middle of the back seat. I have read repeatedly that this is the safest place in any vehicle. Purchase a top rated car seat. Pinch pennies somewhere else; get a good one!

You can't add airbags to a Jeep.
Why not? Side curtain air bags are an option from the factory and probably available as a dealer installed option if you got the bucks.

Mikecal9985

Thanks for all the great info!!! As one of you guys said, building up two Jeeps is out of the question!! Hahahah. However the breaks and possibly a sports cage might be possible...after all, I do have nine months to save up!! Keep all the suggestions coming!!

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
Congrats! A lot of good advice already given if you have a shit load of money to invest. I'm guessing that a young couple expecting their first child would be somewhat limited as to big budget builds for not one, but two Jeeps? I always mounted the car seat in the middle of the back seat. I have read repeatedly that this is the safest place in any vehicle. Purchase a top rated car seat. Pinch pennies somewhere else; get a good one!

Why not? Side curtain air bags are an option from the factory and probably available as a dealer installed option if you got the bucks.

Side curtain airbags aren't available on a JK but there is an option for thorax airbag for the front seats only. While you could retrofit them it would be very expensive as it would mean new front seats, airbags and a new module plus maybe body control module programming.

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Side curtain airbags aren't available on a JK but there is an option for thorax airbag for the front seats only. While you could retrofit them it would be very expensive as it would mean new front seats, airbags and a new module plus maybe body control module programming.

I disagree, maybe where you are they are not an option, but here in the states they are. Straight off the Jeep website:
IMG_3865.JPG

aermotor

Nice. I would say some must haves are:

1) Dynatrac Progrip Brakes
2) Headlights (JW Speaker/Truck Lite)
2) Steel bumpers
3) EVO sliders (lots of protection)
4) Fire extinguisher (Halon, B:C Carbon Dioxide)
5) EVO Sport Cage
6) Smart Driving

Good luck!

Top Bottom