New jeep build JK or JL??

jeffj

Caught the Bug
I'm talking myself into starting a new build and would like some opinions on which way to go. It would be an opportunity to do things different this time around, but not sure which way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Guess it depends on what you're wanting to do this time around and how quickly you're wanting to do it. If you want to build up big and soon, a JK is the way to go. If the JL is anything like the JK was when it came out, it'll take some time before there's a good amount of product available for it and even longer before enough of it can be tested in the real world.

jeffj

Caught the Bug
Those are some really good points and I think you answered my questions. I was shooting for next summer and wanted to do something nice like the dtd with all the good stuff to go with it. Like you said it would probably take awhile for the company's to get everything figured out. If I'm going to go this direction I might be able to do it this summer. If I can talk my better half into it.lol

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
I'm kind of in the same boat. I was seriously considering trading my current rig in on a Rubicon, but have been debating waiting for the JL. What if it has better axles, better features, more capable than the current model and requires less upgrades to get a capable vehicle on 37s? Too many unanswered questions for me. I may hold what I've got and wait until the end of the year.

I'm kind of in the same boat. I was seriously considering trading my current rig in on a Rubicon, but have been debating waiting for the JL. What if it has better axles, better features, more capable than the current model and requires less upgrades to get a capable vehicle on 37s? Too many unanswered questions for me. I may hold what I've got and wait until the end of the year.

I'm in the same boat as you. Probably makes the most sense to wait for the JL. Although I agree with what Eddie said that we probably won't know the upgrades for the JL for a year or two. So is it worth waiting that long?

KYRubi

You could wait until the JL comes out and make your decision. If you really like the JL better, get it, and deal with having to wait for some products to come out for it. If you decide on building a JK, you could pick up a stock one off of lease that has done nothing but mall crawl for 3 years and save some money to immediately go towards your build.

ScoobyCarolanNC

On top of what Eddie said, I'd wait a year or two for post-production issues to get sorted out. It happens to every new vehicle, but the early 3.6s had serious engine issues. If you figure that in, now you're at 3 years for a well sorted out build.

KYs got the right idea. Find one a soccer mom hated & turned in after a year on her lease. The JK market here in Raleigh is full of em.

Sent from my duck blind.

monstrousmac

Caught the Bug
Just my two cents, I would never buy first year production vehicle, I will wait a year or two for them to work out the bugs.

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
On top of what Eddie said, I'd wait a year or two for post-production issues to get sorted out. It happens to every new vehicle, but the early 3.6s had serious engine issues. If you figure that in, now you're at 3 years for a well sorted out build.

KYs got the right idea. Find one a soccer mom hated & turned in after a year on her lease. The JK market here in Raleigh is full of em.

Sent from my duck blind.

Just my two cents, I would never buy first year production vehicle, I will wait a year or two for them to work out the bugs.

You guys do bring up valid points. I bought a 2013 JK and went through 3 water pumps, a pinion seal and transmission tubes recall all in the span of 1 year. I would hope the fact that the 3.6 is supposedly staying in the JL would help alleviate some of those issues, but that does leave the rest of the vehicle untested. I'll admit, I haven't had great luck with Jeeps. It would suck to get a brand new JL and have a bunch of issues with it. I guess I'll wait and see if the upgrades to the JL are worth the headache.

Top Bottom