Steering Bind in low speeds

Keithyellowjk

Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone could help me out. I have a 2008 JKU with 37's. When I turn the wheel it seems to bind and then as I continue to make my turn comes loose. I just installed a new front axle too. It seems to happen when I turn left and I it is not in 4wd. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Keith

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone could help me out. I have a 2008 JKU with 37's. When I turn the wheel it seems to bind and then as I continue to make my turn comes loose. I just installed a new front axle too. It seems to happen when I turn left and I it is not in 4wd. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Keith

How many miles are on the Jeep? Have you ever done a power steering flush?

WJCO

Meme King
Did you install ball joints? Did they already come pressed in? What knuckles?

I would attempt to disconnect the drag link from the pitman arm, then put the axle on jackstands, and manually turn your front wheels/tires by hand. See if you can manually feel the binding anywhere. That will at least eliminate the drag link and steering box. Also with the draglink off, you could turn the steering wheel one time each direction and that would eliminate the gear box, but don't go too far and make sure you get it EXACTLY back to center.

Also, did you already have 37s or is this a new thing too?

EDIT: You said left turn. Check that nothing is catching on your diff cover, pretty common actually. Mine was binding the first couple of times until it wore off the metal on the cover: http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?42612-Stock-tie-rod-stabilizer-bracket-hitting-ProRock-cover

Last edited:

Keithyellowjk

Did you install ball joints? Did they already come pressed in? What knuckles?

I would attempt to disconnect the drag link from the pitman arm, then put the axle on jackstands, and manually turn your front wheels/tires by hand. See if you can manually feel the binding anywhere. That will at least eliminate the drag link and steering box. Also with the draglink off, you could turn the steering wheel one time each direction and that would eliminate the gear box, but don't go too far and make sure you get it EXACTLY back to center.

Also, did you already have 37s or is this a new thing too?

EDIT: You said left turn. Check that nothing is catching on your diff cover, pretty common actually. Mine was binding the first couple of times until it wore off the metal on the cover: http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?42612-Stock-tie-rod-stabilizer-bracket-hitting-ProRock-cover

My axle already came with Ball Joints pressed in. It is a Ultimate Dana 44 with elockers. I have factory knuckles. I have had 37's on for about 3 months.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
I would make sure none of the steering linkage is catching on the axle or cover, then do the drag link thing I suggested to see if the bind is in the wheel ends or up in the box.

Keithyellowjk

I would make sure none of the steering linkage is catching on the axle or cover, then do the drag link thing I suggested to see if the bind is in the wheel ends or up in the box.

Thanks. I checked everything today and noticed the drag link is rubbing on my Steering Stabilizer mount on my axle. You were right. I have a Rubicon Express flipped drag link that's rubbing. I might grind down the mount even know the drag link has done most of it. I think this is the problem because I didn't notice anything wrong with the steering box. Thank you everyone for the advise.

WJCO

Meme King
Thanks. I checked everything today and noticed the drag link is rubbing on my Steering Stabilizer mount on my axle. You were right. I have a Rubicon Express flipped drag link that's rubbing. I might grind down the mount even know the drag link has done most of it. I think this is the problem because I didn't notice anything wrong with the steering box. Thank you everyone for the advise.

Glad you got it figured out.

Top Bottom