Re-Gearing axles on a Manual Transmission to 5.13

JKU Arizona

Would 5.13 gears be good on a manual transmission? This whole gear thing is really new to me (i know nothing about no gears). My Jeep is a manual transmission and somewhat of a daily driver (probably gets driven 2-3x's a week or so during the week). I already have the gears purchased (5.13) and will be having a local shop installing them early next week (along with my new to me PR44). Seeking advice if I'm taking the right approach going 5.13 or should i do 4.88? Not worried about city driving comfort. I'm looking for what's going to give me better performance driving to our getaway destination.

Thanks in advance.

bigcale

Caught the Bug
Would 5.13 gears be good on a manual transmission? This whole gear thing is really new to me (i know nothing about no gears). My Jeep is a manual transmission and somewhat of a daily driver (probably gets driven 2-3x's a week or so during the week). I already have the gears purchased (5.13) and will be having a local shop installing them early next week (along with my new to me PR44). Seeking advice if I'm taking the right approach going 5.13 or should i do 4.88? Not worried about city driving comfort. I'm looking for what's going to give me better performance driving to our getaway destination.

Thanks in advance.

Depends on what size tire you are planning on running.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
would hi RPMs this have any negative effects? would they go back down once i go with 37s?

I am not an expert in engines so I can't say for sure but I can tell you that I've been running 4.88s for almost two years and I haven't had any major issues with my motor. I did have a miss fire in cylinder two which was fixed under warranty but the mechanic thinks that I was just unlucky to get a back head in that cylinder.

Here is the chart for reference. My RPMs are almost spot on with 4.88s and 35s at 70MPH.

IMG_0236.JPG

If I were you and I knew that I was going to 37s next year I'd absolutely do 5.13s.

JKU Arizona

I am not an expert in engines so I can't say for sure but I can tell you that I've been running 4.88s for almost two years and I haven't had any major issues with my motor. I did have a miss fire in cylinder two which was fixed under warranty but the mechanic thinks that I was just unlucky to get a back head in that cylinder.

Here is the chart for reference. My RPMs are almost spot on with 4.88s and 35s at 70MPH.

If I were you and I knew that I was going to 37s next year I'd absolutely do 5.13s.

Thanks! I am planning on running 37's in the near future. When I first got my Jeep 2 summers ago I went out and bought a new set of 35" tires so these tires still have tons of thread and i want to run them down first. Meanwhile I'm upgrading components while I wear these tires down. But if i find a good deal on some 37's before hand then i might change out sooner. There's just other parts i would rather upgrade first before re-spending money on tires if i don't need to.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug

Thanks in advance.

I have 5.13s in my jeep, its a 3.6L, Manual transmission, 37" toyos, and I daily drive it. :yup: seems to be OKAY ;)

Last edited:

BlackDiamond_JKU

I did 4.88's in mine with 37's, I'm upgrading to 5.13's in my 60's once they get delivered.
If you just mall crawl, or have no real terrain elevation in your area 4.88's are fine. If you wheel, or live in a hilly area, I'd do 5.13's
Oh, I'm in a 6 speed 4 door btw

“Our Country won’t go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won’t be any America because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race!”
– Lt. Gen. Lewis B. “Chesty” Puller, USMC

JKU Arizona

I did 4.88's in mine with 37's, I'm upgrading to 5.13's in my 60's once they get delivered.
If you just mall crawl, or have no real terrain elevation in your area 4.88's are fine. If you wheel, or live in a hilly area, I'd do 5.13's
Oh, I'm in a 6 speed 4 door btw

“Our Country won’t go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won’t be any America because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race!”
– Lt. Gen. Lewis B. “Chesty” Puller, USMC
Yeah I'm sticking to what i already purchased. Just wanted to make sure. I do want whats going to give me better performance when wheeling and when driving to the wheeling destination. All the reaserach i did pointed me to 5.13 but was manily hearing it from people in automatics.

Sent from my SM-N920V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom