Axle shaft walking out?

deadguy

Background d44 with 5.13s arb and 35 spline nitro shafts. I had the shaft bearings to bad on me a bit back and now the driver side axle shaft is making contact with the caliper mount. It seems like the shaft is trying to come out of the tube but the caliper mount is holding it back. Retainer is tight. I whacked the shaft in about a 1/4 inch today and it came right back out and rubbed the bracket again. Did I not seat the bearing down enough on that shaft? I'll be ripping it apart tomm but just seeing g if anyone else has any ideas

Sent from a guy with a jeep

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Background d44 with 5.13s arb and 35 spline nitro shafts. I had the shaft bearings to bad on me a bit back and now the driver side axle shaft is making contact with the caliper mount. It seems like the shaft is trying to come out of the tube but the caliper mount is holding it back. Retainer is tight. I whacked the shaft in about a 1/4 inch today and it came right back out and rubbed the bracket again. Did I not seat the bearing down enough on that shaft? I'll be ripping it apart tomm but just seeing g if anyone else has any ideas

Sounds like the bearings are not pressed on all the way if they keep walking the shaft out

deadguy

Sounds like the bearings are not pressed on all the way if they keep walking the shaft out
Yeah that's what I'm thinking. I'll find out tomm. I have a press so hopefully it's as simple as giving it a couple squeezes to fixer up

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Yeah that's what I'm thinking. I'll find out tomm. I have a press so hopefully it's as simple as giving it a couple squeezes to fixer up

Take pics when you pull it apart cause now you have me curious

deadguy

I will. Thanks Steve. Did the PSC Install and took it for a spin and said Jesus the brakes Sound worse than before I changed the pads (thinking it was that after last wheeling trip). always something

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I will. Thanks Steve. Did the PSC Install and took it for a spin and said Jesus the brakes Sound worse than before I changed the pads (thinking it was that after last wheeling trip). always something

No problem Ryan. Yea I always hate new noises lol

deadguy

Sorry no pics but just pressed the retainer and bearing down another 3/16 or so before it bottomed out. I think I know what happened. I didn't have the clearance on my press and it bottomed out on the lower part of the press and I thought the bearing was all the way seated.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Sorry no pics but just pressed the retainer and bearing down another 3/16 or so before it bottomed out. I think I know what happened. I didn't have the clearance on my press and it bottomed out on the lower part of the press and I thought the bearing was all the way seated.

Yea I bet that was the issue. Let's hope that fixes it!

deadguy

Yea I bet that was the issue. Let's hope that fixes it!
Welp guess what.... Didn't fix it. Started walking back out. You can see here where the rotor is rubbing the caliper mount IMG_20170225_100025444_HDR.jpg
And with that I figured let me see if I could pop this bearing retainer ring off and with a couple taps of a hammer and screwdriver IMG_20170225_101847703.jpg
Yeah that shouldn't happen. So now I'm gonna go see if I can find a new retainer ring to press on

WJCO

Meme King
Interesting. Keep us posted. Never seen this happen. Is the bearing still in the same place you pressed it or has it moved?

Top Bottom