Finally pulled my clutch, and found this... help

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
Ok so after my wife's ice water excursion I finally got the time to pull the clutch and it didn't fare well. When it went it tried to saw my bell housing in half, made it through in a couple spots. Come to find out the bell housing is part of the actual transmission housing so finding it separate is proving to be difficult. The flywheel has pretty good heat spots and I'm not sure it is salvageable. The dowel pins are kicked out (not sure if they are supposed to be straight but I assumed they were once)

Any recommendations on where to find these parts? Should I consider converting to an auto since it's so far gone? And if I converted to an auto would I need new ECM/TCM to do it?

Thanks for any advice in the matter.

IMG_0024.jpg IMG_0026.jpg IMG_0008.jpg IMG_0009.jpg IMG_0029.jpg IMG_0030.jpg IMG_0031.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

JeepJeep75

I hate to say it, but your flywheel is toast. Your transmission looks like it's pretty hammered too. The input shaft could be bent. Clutch and pressure plate are wasted too. I'd look at replacing the trans with a rebuilt one.

Putting in an auto would be a nightmare. You'd definitely need a new ECM/TCM and or slightly different intake manifold or different heads on the engine to accommodate the different exhaust manifolds you might need, then having to swap out the pedal assembly under the dash as well as changing the shifter.... it would be easier, and probably cheaper to do a full LS swap at that point.

If I were in your shoes I'd replace the trans with a rebuilt/low mile swap-out and replace the flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing, fork, and slave cylinder. Then I'd bitch about how much money was spent, but be happy that the parts are new, and the jeep isn't totaled.

Sucks that happened though. Good luck with your fix.

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
Yeah unfortunately this all happened right when I had money dedicated to upgrades. Plus side covering the repair will not be an issue. Downside, I see my hydro assist not happening.

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
you may need to plan on paying more since your core looks pretty bad and highly likely it can't be reused.

I think core charges range up to an extra $1000

this may help out when pricing out getting a rebuilt - I've found this dealer to have good pricing and use them to compare against when shopping locally:

http://www.stevewhiteparts.com/auto...ual-transmission-cat/manual-transmission-scat

good luck!

That's a very good point, I hadn't even considered that I might not get a core fee back.

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
The wife drove it over a frozen puddle and it broke through 1/2 way across. Up to the doors in ice water. I'm really not sure how the clutch damage occurred, but when it came out of the water it was done.

jesse3638

Hooked
The wife drove it over a frozen puddle and it broke through 1/2 way across. Up to the doors in ice water. I'm really not sure how the clutch damage occurred, but when it came out of the water it was done.

If she pushed the clutch in while it was in the water it could have caused water, ice, dirt, debris to get in there. That may have led to the damage.

Sent from my 831C using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

jeeeep

Hooked
This was my original thought before I saw the extent of the damage. I have always heard to pick a gear and keep it during a water crossing.

yeah, in water pick a gear and don't shift, better to enter in a low gear and keep it steady.

But as mentioned - ice water hot clutch, luckily it didn't hit the engine block, could've been much worse.

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
Any recommendations on where to find these parts? Should I consider converting to an auto since it's so far gone? And if I converted to an auto would I need new ECM/TCM to do it?

My good friend. I would try LKQ Corporation. They do pretty much all insurance work but they are nationwide. Give this link a try: http://www.lkqcorp.com/en-us/Inventory-Search

A quick search found a used transmission for $1879, but for an automatic transmission. I would look more into switching to an automatic transmission. I have heard people switching and it was not a "nightmare".

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
My good friend. I would try LKQ Corporation. They do pretty much all insurance work but they are nationwide. Give this link a try: http://www.lkqcorp.com/en-us/Inventory-Search

A quick search found a used transmission for $1879, but for an automatic transmission. I would look more into switching to an automatic transmission. I have heard people switching and it was not a "nightmare".

Yeah I plan on checking with LKQ in the morning, I also have an email in to MoTech to see if they have a good take off from an LS swap. I also decided to stick with the 6 speed. I know auto would be easier on the trail, but I've never been one to do things the easy way [emoji57]

Top Bottom