new axles for the JL?

OJK12

If the picture is what your talking about that can't be it as the new JL will receive solid front and rear axles and that picture looks to be an IFS housing.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ddays

Hooked
If the picture is what your talking about that can't be it as the new JL will receive solid front and rear axles and that picture looks to be an IFS housing.

Check out the link to the spec sheet on the axles - they do show a solid version although its full float.

Two things stand out on that spec sheet though;
1] First line under the standard product features says "offers smaller gears than traditional products due to highest power density"
2] "Laser welding gear to differential" with the benefit of saving 1.5-5.0 Kg

So smaller gears that are welded to the differential? I've never heard of welding the ring gear to the differential before in a production vehicle. Is this common on other axle assemblies? If you want to change ratios that's gonna be expensive.

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
Check out the link to the spec sheet on the axles - they do show a solid version although its full float.

Two things stand out on that spec sheet though;
1] First line under the standard product features says "offers smaller gears than traditional products due to highest power density"
2] "Laser welding gear to differential" with the benefit of saving 1.5-5.0 Kg

So smaller gears that are welded to the differential? I've never heard of welding the ring gear to the differential before in a production vehicle. Is this common on other axle assemblies? If you want to change ratios that's gonna be expensive.
Lazer welding the gears to the differential is starting to pop up more and more as another way to cut down on weight and hit future fuel economy/green house gas regs. Right now I believe there are only a few German brands doing it but I'm sure others are looking into it also. Every lb counts when trying to get to a fleet avg of 54mpg.

Sent from my SM-G900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ddays

Hooked
Lazer welding the gears to the differential is starting to pop up more and more as another way to cut down on weight and hit future fuel economy/green house gas regs. Right now I believe there are only a few German brands doing it but I'm sure others are looking into it also. Every lb counts when trying to get to a fleet avg of 54mpg.

Sent from my SM-G900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Was hoping you'd see this thread & comment. That's interesting. So the aftermarket manufacturers will have provide a complete diff with the gears welded on as well. Those are gonna be expensive. And I thought ARB's were costly now....

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Was hoping you'd see this thread & comment. That's interesting. So the aftermarket manufacturers will have provide a complete diff with the gears welded on as well. Those are gonna be expensive. And I thought ARB's were costly now....

It looks like it may become extremely cost prohibitive, to modify vehicles. It may be cheaper to keep a JK going.

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug

No depends on the clearance in the housing the aftermarket will probably offer a new carrier that accepts bolt on gears, but you will have to buy a new carrier as well as gears to change ratio the first time.

Ddays

Hooked
No depends on the clearance in the housing the aftermarket will probably offer a new carrier that accepts bolt on gears, but you will have to buy a new carrier as well as gears to change ratio the first time.

I wonder if the welded gears allow the room for a bolt on set? As you said, depends on the clearances.

Yeah but don't you want to just upgrade to the ProRock 60/80 combo.... So does it matter at that time if you decide to just swap axles...

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Yeah but don't you want to just upgrade to the ProRock 60/80 combo.... So does it matter at that time if you decide to just swap axles...

For a guy like 2nd.gunman is does matter since he live in Australia. Dynatracs are expensive enough as is, I cannot imagine the price of having a PR60/80 combo shipped down to him.

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
For a guy like 2nd.gunman is does matter since he live in Australia. Dynatracs are expensive enough as is, I cannot imagine the price of having a PR60/80 combo shipped down to him.

Yep. Down here it's over $25k for a Set of Dana UD60s!

But we do have access to plenty of Nissan Y61 axles which are much lighter than D60s but strong enough for 37s all day long

desertrunner

I could be totally wrong but once you go over 3.73 don't you have to change the carrier anyways? So for the guys say going from the stock 3.21s to a 4.88 you would have to change carriers therefore not making any difference if the ring gear was welded to it?. Also those adding lockers it shouldn't matter either as that would change the carrier as well? Only person I could see it hurting is the stock Rubicon for ppl wanting to keep the E locker but change the ratio, which obviously sucks but maybe not quite as big of a deal for everyone

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using WAYALIFE mobile app

highoctane

Caught the Bug

While the ProRock 60/80 axles are great axles, it would be a bit over kill to spend $18-20k on a set of axles if you don't plan to wheel hard on 40" tires.

Top Bottom