Please help !!!!

zombie hunter

Today i was driving on the sand dunes. Tyres at .8 and sway bar disconnected. I drive a 2013 petrol sahara with standard gear ratio and 35" tyres. I started hearing loud clunking sounds coming from the front end. My budi noticed that my tie rod was junping up and down. Wasnt constant, came nd went depending how much pressure my front axel was under nd how much the wheels span. Driving hme on the road with sway bar connected i herd no noise

Sent from my SM-G920F using WAYALIFE mobile app

Robertcrav

Check all tre's, and joints are torqued to spec. Check ball goints... how many mikes on those parts? Are you still running the 3" bs kit in your profile? Do you have any caster correction?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

zombie hunter

Check all tre's, and joints are torqued to spec. Check ball goints... how many mikes on those parts? Are you still running the 3" bs kit in your profile? Do you have any caster correction?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
Tyres were rotated and torqued 2 days ago. Ball joints have some play. Im on 60000 ks now. Yes still same lift. Not sure what caster is on but when i had it done 2 wks ago everything was in spec

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
Tyres were rotated and torqued 2 days ago. Ball joints have some play. Im on 60000 ks now. Yes still same lift. Not sure what caster is on but when i had it done 2 wks ago everything was in spec

TREs is Tie rod ends, not tires. I would do the same. Check all your front end components and make sure they are torqued to spec. My guess would be something came loose while under all that pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeeeep

Hooked
tie rods have rotational play in them and they are noisy when they rotate back and forth.

if all was well when you got on the main road and connected your sway bar, I'd a quick once over but in sand and if you were in 4wd the axles will tend to "wrap" more as they bite into the sand.

It's possible the noise you heard was the rotational play in the tie rod.

when I 1st had my ram steering put on it would push the tie rod forward and pull it back making a constant knocking noise with each turn.

Have you cycled your suspension? it's also possible with your sway bar disconnected they were hitting something else in the suspension during the cycling of the suspension especially as you drove faster and were hitting the bumps.

I'd cycle the suspension and see if anything makes contact.

zombie hunter

tie rods have rotational play in them and they are noisy when they rotate back and forth.

if all was well when you got on the main road and connected your sway bar, I'd a quick once over but in sand and if you were in 4wd the axles will tend to "wrap" more as they bite into the sand.

when I 1st had my ram steering put on it would push the tie rod forward and pull it back making a constant knocking noise with each turn.

Have you cycled your suspension? it's also possible with your sway bar disconnected they were hitting something else in the suspension during the cycling of the suspension especially as you drove faster and were hitting the bumps.

Sup budi. So my axel is actually jumping up and down. Seems to do it at full lock, happened driving on the road 2day. Jeeps at mechanic now, they have to open the diff. They going 2 let me know later what the issue is. Will let u know what they say

zombie hunter

IMG-20170130-WA0030.jpg

WJCO

Meme King
I want to repair it coz im waiting for my budis axels. Need the entire centre piece, not sure where in going to find 1 coz every1 replaces ring nd pinion nd not the entire centre

You just need a loaded front carrier like the one pictured below complete with axle gears and pinions(spiders). Just make sure you get the one for your gear ratio. Truthfully if the ring gear or pinion gear only has really light chips and you're planning on getting new axles soon, I would re-use them and just drive carefully for awhile. That's not the right way to do it, but that's what I would do to save some money. Obviously check the bearings for play and pitting if you are even considering re-using them.

Untitled.jpg

zombie hunter

You just need a loaded front carrier like the one pictured below complete with axle gears and pinions(spiders). Just make sure you get the one for your gear ratio. Truthfully if the ring gear or pinion gear only has really light chips and you're planning on getting new axles soon, I would re-use them and just drive carefully for awhile. That's not the right way to do it, but that's what I would do to save some money. Obviously check the bearings for play and pitting if you are even considering re-using them.

View attachment 241482
The teeth are totally fkd. Driving straight only is fine but as soon as you take a corner it starts clunking. Had to take corners very wide. What all will i need to get nd how much am i looking at

Grubbicon

Maybe im missing something but it looks like just the spider gears are broke. If thats the case all you really need is a new set if spider gears. Another option is putting a lunch box locker in it that replaces those gears anyway.

zombie hunter

Maybe im missing something but it looks like just the spider gears are broke. If thats the case all you really need is a new set if spider gears. Another option is putting a lunch box locker in it that replaces those gears anyway.
I was told its not only the ring and pinion but the entire centre needs to be replaced??? Im not a export on this so i wouldnt know.

Grubbicon

I was told its not only the ring and pinion but the entire centre needs to be replaced??? Im not a export on this so i wouldnt know.

From what I see in that pic the ring gear looks fine. Maybe there is a tooth missing somewhere else that I cant see. If it really only is the spider gears absolutely no reason to replace everything else. Just make sure get all the shavings out good with brake cleaner.

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
Grubbicon's right. If the carrier casting nor crosspin are damaged, you could get by with just the spider gears and axle gears. Sometimes the carrier gets scored pretty bad right behind the axle gears. Ask the mechanic straight up if he can re-use the carrier housing if you get the gears. Ask him to send you pictures of the damage to the carrier itself if he can.

zombie hunter

Grubbicon's right. If the carrier casting nor crosspin are damaged, you could get by with just the spider gears and axle gears. Sometimes the carrier gets scored pretty bad right behind the axle gears. Ask the mechanic straight up if he can re-use the carrier housing if you get the gears. Ask him to send you pictures of the damage to the carrier itself if he can.
He told me that he cant only replace ring amd pinion. He does all the jeeps in cape town and even for the dealerships so he wouldn't bullshit. He is busy phoning around for parts. The ring looks fine but the rest looks fkd. Big chunks of teeth missing. Pieces came out when drsning the oil. What all will i need nd how much would it cost

WJCO

Meme King
He told me that he cant only replace ring amd pinion. He does all the jeeps in cape town and even for the dealerships so he wouldn't bullshit. He is busy phoning around for parts. The ring looks fine but the rest looks fkd. Big chunks of teeth missing. Pieces came out when drsning the oil. What all will i need nd how much would it cost

If ring and pinion are shot, you're looking at around 300 for gears and bearings typically. Then the carrier with spiders and side gears is around 300. Labor probably is 500-800. So call it 1500 for a full overhaul. That's a lot to spend on an axle you're thinking about replacing. I'm just ballparking the cost.

But back to the beginning, is there anything wrong with the ring and pinion or not? The ring and pinion are the massive gears off to the side of your photo. Drive pinion gear isn't even visible in your photo. The smaller damaged gears are the axle gears(side gears) and the spider gears (pinion gears). The pinion gears are not the same as the Drive Pinion gear, that's why they're usually called spider gears instead.

IMG-20170130-WA0030.jpg

opendiff.jpg

Last edited:

zombie hunter

If ring and pinion are shot, you're looking at around 300 for gears and bearings typically. Then the carrier with spiders and side gears is around 300. Labor probably is 500-800. So call it 1500 for a full overhaul. That's a lot to spend on an axle you're thinking about replacing. I'm just ballparking the cost.

But back to the beginning, is there anything wrong with the ring and pinion or not? The ring and pinion are the massive gears off to the side of your photo. Drive pinion gear isn't even visible in your photo. The smaller damaged gears are the axle gears(side gears) and the spider gears (pinion gears). The pinion gears are not the same as the Drive Pinion gear, that's why they're usually called spider gears instead.

View attachment 241492

View attachment 241493
Wow thanks for the explanation. Really appreciate it, are those prices a estimate of new parts or 2nd hand. For now i just want to find 2nd hand parts for cheap coz its my everyday driver, kinda fkd now and not sure how long my budi is going 2 take 2 buy a new jeep. He is still waiting for his cash to come through from insurance. His jeep burnt on fire, they wrote it off

Top Bottom