Never ending problems.

10abadilla/jk

So after replacing/repairing almost everything on the evap system the check engine light came back on. P0456. No gas cap light this time. By replace/repair I mean I have replaced the charcoal canister with a brand new one. Replaced the pump. Replaced the gas cap. I have wrapped all my evap lines with 10mil end to end. That cleared all of my codes except for the p0456. I clear it and it keeps coming back on. Now I've realized I have a shock leaking.
20170128_144353.jpg
The front axle is now leaking again from the plug weld I have recently had filled. And the transmission is leaking.
20161228_190413_HDR.jpg 20161228_190351_HDR.jpg 20161228_190418.jpg
I'm not sure where to start. I had plans of upgrading the LCA's this coming week. I was going to purchase them on friday. And the tire carrier next. Now I don't know what to do or where to start. Opinions would be great Thank you all.

Sent from my LG-H900 using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
If the vehicle isn't excessively bouncey, just leave the shock for now. Same with the trans leak, if fluid is full and it's a slow leak, just keep an eye on it. As far as the evap leak, sorry you're having so many issues with it. Has a dealer done a smoke test for you on it?

10abadilla/jk

If the vehicle isn't excessively bouncey, just leave the shock for now. Same with the trans leak, if fluid is full and it's a slow leak, just keep an eye on it. As far as the evap leak, sorry you're having so many issues with it. Has a dealer done a smoke test for you on it?
No i thought I had it fixed. After replacing what I listed the light stayed off for about 700 miles or so. Then came back on one day while warming up the jeep for my wife and daughter. So I cleared it And ran it for like a week or so and it came back on first start up yesterday morning. I know my next step is pay an arm and a leg for a smoke test. I'm just concerned because I have wrapped all the lines with 10mil and feel they will not find a leak. Or tell me my canister is bad. But Its brand new. I have had bad experiences with the dealer here. I bought a dodge from them that has been nothing but issues. Leaking oil. Cracked exhaust manifold. A brand new dodge and they won't fix any of it. None the less I just feel if be paying a ton of money to be told something like "we cleared the code come back if it turned back on" etc.

10abadilla/jk

The transmission fluid is full. But about time to change the fluid and filter. Coming up on 60,000 miles. And the shock feels fine. I started feeling a very light and faint steering wheel judder. Super minor and goes away after about 20mph. Not sure if that can be shock related. I have brand new ball joints and unit bearings. And just did the first tire rotations on the 35s. 7,000 miles

WJCO

Meme King
No i thought I had it fixed. After replacing what I listed the light stayed off for about 700 miles or so. Then came back on one day while warming up the jeep for my wife and daughter. So I cleared it And ran it for like a week or so and it came back on first start up yesterday morning. I know my next step is pay an arm and a leg for a smoke test. I'm just concerned because I have wrapped all the lines with 10mil and feel they will not find a leak. Or tell me my canister is bad. But Its brand new. I have had bad experiences with the dealer here. I bought a dodge from them that has been nothing but issues. Leaking oil. Cracked exhaust manifold. A brand new dodge and they won't fix any of it. None the less I just feel if be paying a ton of money to be told something like "we cleared the code come back if it turned back on" etc.

I imagine a smoke test would be about 100 bucks. Make sure your take is half full or less though. I would call them first to make sure they have a machine. Then tell them that you already know what the code is and that it has come back many times and that all you want is the smoke test. At least you should have an answer that way.

NecessaryEvil

Caught the Bug
Well that blows. I have been there with other vehicles, so I know how you feel. EVAP leaks can be very very troublesome. Im sure you will get it figured out. The shock looks like a Fox shock? Im pretty sure all of the 2.0 FOX Shocks are rebuildable, so I would look into that.

jesse3638

Hooked

Not sure this helps your Jeep woes but with regards to the cracked manifold on your Dodge if its less than 8 years old and under 80K the dealer has to fix it under the federally mandated emissions warranty. Nissan Titans are notorious for cracked manifolds so this is brought up a lot.

Federally Mandated Emissions Warranty

10abadilla/jk

Well that blows. I have been there with other vehicles, so I know how you feel. EVAP leaks can be very very troublesome. Im sure you will get it figured out. The shock looks like a Fox shock? Im pretty sure all of the 2.0 FOX Shocks are rebuildable, so I would look into that.
Yes. The evap has been very troublesome. I've done everything I thought I could do to trace it other then a smoke test. I guess that's the only option now at this point. And yes they are fox 2.0. I figured they were able to be rebuilt but not sure who to talk to around here. And I figured I may have to rebuild to all to ensure they are all tuned correct?

10abadilla/jk

Not sure this helps your Jeep woes but with regards to the cracked manifold on your Dodge if its less than 8 years old and under 80K the dealer has to fix it under the federally mandated emissions warranty. Nissan Titans are notorious for cracked manifolds so this is brought up a lot.

Federally Mandated Emissions Warranty
Wow thank you for that so much. It is a 2014 with 50k on it. They have denied fixing it for over a year.

jesse3638

Hooked
Wow thank you for that so much. It is a 2014 with 50k on it. They have denied fixing it for over a year.

Just mention the Federal Emmissions Warranty and they usually change their tune. Honestly some service departments have not heard of it. Figured its worth a shot. Lots of us Nissan guys have resorted to it. Unfortunately I did not know about it until mine was 9 years old and 90K so now I have JBA headers..;)

jeeeep

Hooked
have you checked the gas cap for leaks?

I still have my stock gas cap and get the gas cap warning light about once/year.

I'll clean the lip of the filler neck with alcohol swap and make sure it's smooth and then clean the o-ring while in the cap. apply some chapstick to the o-ring and the lip of the filler neck usually takes a couple of restarts for the code to clear and i'm good for another year or so.

Since you've replaced everything else, don't overlook the simple things. Also, aftermarket caps I've found don't seat well.

for the leaking shock, have you checked if it's bottoming out? looks like it might be from the rubber ring or grease on the bottom of the shock and the top of where it mounts to the axle. how much lift do you have? i don't see any bump stop

Last edited:

10abadilla/jk

I still have my stock gas cap and get the gas cap warning light about once/year.

I'll clean the lip of the filler neck with alcohol swap and make sure it's smooth and then clean the o-ring while in the cap. apply some chapstick to the o-ring and the lip of the filler neck usually takes a couple of restarts for the code to clear and i'm good for another year or so.

Since you've replaced everything else, don't overlook the simple things. Also, aftermarket caps I've found don't seat well.

for the leaking shock, have you checked if it's bottoming out? looks like it might be from the rubber ring or grease on the bottom of the shock and the top of where it mounts to the axle. how much lift do you have? i don't see any bump stop
It's a brand new cap from the dealer. And I believe it's a 2.5in bds lift. No bump stops in the front. Only rear. And I have cleaned the filler and greased the o-ring on the new gas cap right before. The gas cap light is not on. Only the check engine light. Code p0456. I haven't wheeled in about 3 weeks. So I'm unsure why the shock would be bottoming out. Or on what for that matter.

10abadilla/jk

Also the shock was not leaking when I inspected it at home after the wheeling trip.

10abadilla/jk

Just mention the Federal Emmissions Warranty and they usually change their tune. Honestly some service departments have not heard of it. Figured its worth a shot. Lots of us Nissan guys have resorted to it. Unfortunately I did not know about it until mine was 9 years old and 90K so now I have JBA headers..;)
I definitely will. Thank you

jeeeep

Hooked
well that sucks and wrapping the lines in 10mil may not have been the best idea.

seems like a smoke test is going to be your best bet.

Top Bottom