Will EVO 3 inch bumps be to short for 4 inch EVO Plushrides?

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
So it turns out, back when I ordered my 4" DD long arm, "the vendor" (ahem, NR) sent me 3" springs with 3" bumps. I ordered the lift back in Oct 2015, so it's been a while and I haven't given it much thought. Well as local friends build there jeeps it became apparent that I infact have 3" plushrides on the jeep. I ordered the 4" springs, but after thinking about it, I'm now concerned that my 3" bumps MAY cause the springs to over compress under full flex. In my opinion, the jeep flexs great, and my stuff is right where I want it, does anyone have experience with this? Here is my jeep at full stuff on the 3" springs:

20160430_121012.jpg

I have the 4" springs sitting in my office and am waiting on my Rockstar skids to arrive wednesday. I was hoping to swap everything over this weekend. While I'll still swap everything out this weekend regardless, I'm hesitant to wheel because I don't want to over compress the springs and cause my new 4" springs to sag... nothing else on the setup will change (shocks included) any insight?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
It will be just like the above picture. Just your ride height will change. Your bumpstop height will not change.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
Correct, it would flex the same...

BUT if the bump is too short and causes the new 4" coil to over compress, the ride height WILL change... and CONTINUE to change over time... which I would like to avoid, and is the point of the thread. :yep:

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
If your happy with the way it is, why change anything?
Well, the long arm kit is designed to correct the suspension geometry when the jeep is lifted 4 inchs and ABOVE... so staying with 3" coils renders my long arm a $2500 waste of money in parts, not to mention the time I spent installing it. If I was planning to run the 3" kit, I would have kept the factory arms for sure... that is why I ordered the 4" in the first place but it's well over a year too late for that anyway and I would like to utilize what I already paid for, and what I actually planned for, and for the record, what should have already been installed on the jeep in the first place.

EDIT:

Don't get bogged down in the details guys, this is a bump stop question only, NOTHING else. That's my mistake, let's try again. :cheesy:

"Will EVO 3" bumps cause 4" EVO plushrides to over compress and sag?"

Last edited:

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
I would be more worried about shock length. Also I have this setup 4" plushrides with 3" or less bumpstops.

The vendor fucked up. They sent me 3" springs and bumps rather than 4". Everything else is as it should be (to my knowlege)

Shocks are (as they should be for 4" plushrides)
Front Bilstein 5100 series 24 - P/N: 186872
Rear Bilstein 5100 series 33 - P/N: 186888

I wish they would have sent the wrong shocks (because then I would have noticed sooner)

Do you happen to have a pic of your spring at full bump?

Last edited:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
So it turns out, back when I ordered my 4" DD long arm, "the vendor" (ahem, NR) sent me 3" springs with 3" bumps. I ordered the lift back in Oct 2015, so it's been a while and I haven't given it much thought. Well as local friends build there jeeps it became apparent that I infact have 3" plushrides on the jeep. I ordered the 4" springs, but after thinking about it, I'm now concerned that my 3" bumps MAY cause the springs to over compress under full flex. In my opinion, the jeep flexs great, and my stuff is right where I want it, does anyone have experience with this? Here is my jeep at full stuff on the 3" springs:

View attachment 241579

I have the 4" springs sitting in my office and am waiting on my Rockstar skids to arrive wednesday. I was hoping to swap everything over this weekend. While I'll still swap everything out this weekend regardless, I'm hesitant to wheel because I don't want to over compress the springs and cause my new 4" springs to sag... nothing else on the setup will change (shocks included) any insight?

General rule of thumb for bump stops is that they should be within 1/2" of what your advertised lift height is. That being said what I would do is go find a spot where you can REALLY flex out your rig and take a look at your springs. If they are touching or damn near close I would add about 1/2" on top of what you have just to make sure your springs don't go solid.

jeeeep

Hooked
you'll want to plan on adding to your bumpstops, I went from 3.5" to Evo plush and gained enough I needed to add to the bumpstops.

Cycle your suspension to make sure.

The 4" evo have sagged over the last year but mostly from the weight I carry and add ons (not uncommon). I'm adding the rock stars in the rear to get some height back but will probably also need to add about a 1" spacer to make up for the sag and keep the shock from collapsing too much..

I'm running them with Rancho 9000's - the 5100's you have should work out fine once you add the rock stars since they raise the shock about 1-1.5" - again be sure to cycle your axle before hitting the trail.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
General rule of thumb for bump stops is that they should be within 1/2" of what your advertised lift height is. That being said what I would do is go find a spot where you can REALLY flex out your rig and take a look at your springs. If they are touching or damn near close I would add about 1/2" on top of what you have just to make sure your springs don't go solid.

you'll want to plan on adding to your bumpstops, I went from 3.5" to Evo plush and gained enough I needed to add to the bumpstops.

Cycle your suspension to make sure.

The 4" evo have sagged over the last year but mostly from the weight I carry and add ons (not uncommon). I'm adding the rock stars in the rear to get some height back but will probably also need to add about a 1" spacer to make up for the sag and keep the shock from collapsing too much..

I'm running them with Rancho 9000's - the 5100's you have should work out fine once you add the rock stars since they raise the shock about 1-1.5" - again be sure to cycle your axle before hitting the trail.
I can cycle the suspension in the ditch at the end of my driveway. I'll just go slow and keep a watchful eye.

Thanks for the info guys

And special thanks to tdougherty81. Thanks for saying something to me, because I honestly didn't even really think about the bumpstops until you asked me about them.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Just adding info as I find it for anyone searching/following.

at this point, I suspect the 3" bump stops should be fine :thumb:

Here is shot of what comes with the 3"/4" enforcer package, as you can see, there is only 3" front bumps (EVO-20005), and the rear bumps have 3"/4" spacers (EVO-10081B or EVO-10082B). I have seen these rear bump stops all over the place referred to as "for 35 inch tires with stock fenders" or "for 37 inch tires with stock fenders." SO, I assume that means my bumps will work. I am still going to flex it out first and make sure its not over compressing the coils.

2017-01-31 10_23_46-234525.pdf.jpg

I'm still interested if anyone is already running/wheeling this setup! Otherwise Im going to worry about it all week until I see it first hand.
Either way, I'll update my findings with photos over the weekend or early next week. :thumb:

Last edited:

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Well, the 3" bumps are plenty for the coils. The Rockstar skids on the other hand, raise the shock mount enough to cause the shock to fully compress before the bump stop makes contact with the frame. So I will need to order some bigger bumps. But the 4" springs with 3" bumps and factory shock mounts will work fine just fine.

A.J.

View attachment 241579

I am running mine exactly this set up. 4” plush rides with 3” bump stops. Rock stars and all. Just check you shock length. As long as they don’t bottom before the bump stops your good. I love the little extra up travel especially in the front. Soaks up the bigger bumps nicely.

Edit: Guess I should have looked at the date of this thread. Carry on!

Last edited:
Top Bottom