1998 Grand Cherokee 5.2L A/C Bypass Belt Size

A4X4NSNOWMAN

Hey Everyone! Noob to the forums. I just finished fixing my ZJ with a simple fix. I searched for awhile online but couldn't find the answer, so, just in case, I figured id share my experience. About a month ago, my ZJ started making a rattling noise and smelling of burnt rubber. So, I traced it back to the A/C clutch/pulley assembly. Now, I live in the mountains, so A/C isn't a must, I have a sunroof and windows for a reason. lol But I wasn't about to pay $150 to have my A/C evac'd to remove the pump and all. So I searched for an alternative, CHEAPER, repair. I had already planned at some point to remove the system and bypass pulley it or add onboard air, but not right now. After, a few minutes of looking, I re-routed the stock belt around how I wanted it and pinched out the slack to check some clearances. Long story short, I replaced the serp belt with a shorter one from NAPA. SPECIFICALLY, 83"(inches), 7 rib. My particular belt is 83 1/8". An 84" WILL NOT work. The A/C is so far up out of the way on the 5.2L that you can just avoid it completely without removal. So, a $150-600 repair was only $45 and now she sounds fantastic. Hope this helps some of you. Have a good one.

Top Bottom