Front axle swap

LVJeepney

Hi!! I'm about to swap out my front axle, D30 to PR44, any watchout I need to know prior to starting this swap. I will be tackling this in my own, I have no help. Any DIY instruction out there that anyone can point me to prior to starting. Thanks IMG_9503.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
You having 4 jack stands is already a huge help. Two floor jacks help as well. Just watch that the pinion doesn't tip down and cause it to fall off the stands when you're situating the new axle. That's the trickiest part. I put the upper bolts in first, then twisted the axle to get the lower in. Just make sure you are always focused on safety and don't climb under it unless you have something under it to keep it from falling on you. Tighten all bushing bolts and track bar once it's back on the ground. Triple check all bolts that they are tight when you're done. Cycle the axle a bunch to make sure the new axle doesn't hit anywhere. That's all I can think of for now.

EDIT: Tie that little tag to your steering wheel. It would suck to forget fluid and it's easy to do after a big job like that.

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
When I did mine it was complete (wheel end to wheel end). Looks to me like it would be easier to swap the axle first, then transfer knuckles/brakes/steering/etc. That way you don't have to open the brake system either.

LVJeepney

When I did mine it was complete (wheel end to wheel end). Looks to me like it would be easier to swap the axle first, then transfer knuckles/brakes/steering/etc. That way you don't have to open the brake system either.

IMG_9510.jpg
That seems to be the route I will take.. finally got the old axle off

WJCO

Meme King
Prior to putting the springs in, cycle your axle to set the bump stops. That should give you an idea of whether you leave those plastic spacers on or not.

tpietzsch

In my case, my aftermarket trackbar end was a smidge wider than the axle mount. You might test fit your trackbar on the axle side to make sure everything is happy. Easier to tweak it if needed while its out.

I think you'll like your new axle housing!!!!:beer::beer:

JJK

A couple of cheap furniture dollies and some 2x4's will make moving the PR44 into place a piece of cake.

LVJeepney

IMG_9524.jpg
Thanks for the info and all the advice, I was able to get my wife to help lift the old one out and place the PR44 in place for tomorrow's install.. I probably won't get any tonight, she was kinda pissed lol

WJCO

Meme King
Thanks for the info and all the advice, I was able to get my wife to help lift the old one out and place the PR44 in place for tomorrow's install.. I probably won't get any tonight, she was kinda pissed lol

You won't need to get any with an axle like that. Just sleep in the garage with the axle. She'll get over it.

Top Bottom