How much fluid to use for transfer case fluid change ?

JeepNfish20

I have a 2011 3.8 liter v6 automatic and I have been seeing different numbers for the transfer case fluid change and wanted to make sure before I buy too much or not enough. How much will this take ? Also I have the stock axles on right now and will be doing the diff fluid change also, what weight should I be using and how much ?

Last edited:

desertrunner

I just swapped in a Rubicon transfer case into my sport and bought 2 quarts of ATF +4 it took every bit of the 2 quarts pretty much in the last pump it started spilling out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using WAYALIFE mobile app

desertrunner

How did that swap go? Relatively painless?

its not the most technical job but idk if i would use the term painless haha, the top 2 mounting nuts are a pain in the ass to get to i had to buy stubby wrenches to get up there and you dont have much leverage with those. Overall i think the hardest part of it all was getting the new one up into place, the motorcycle jack i used to get the old one out didnt go high enough to put the new one in , a normal floor jack was too unstable so i just said F it and bench pressed it in there, the tricky part is once you get it up there you have to turn the rear yoke to get it to line up with the transmission splines. So if you have a set of stubby wrenches and a buddy to help you lift it into place it can be done in a day no problem. :thumb:

RioGrandeJK

its not the most technical job but idk if i would use the term painless haha, the top 2 mounting nuts are a pain in the ass to get to i had to buy stubby wrenches to get up there and you dont have much leverage with those. Overall i think the hardest part of it all was getting the new one up into place, the motorcycle jack i used to get the old one out didnt go high enough to put the new one in , a normal floor jack was too unstable so i just said F it and bench pressed it in there, the tricky part is once you get it up there you have to turn the rear yoke to get it to line up with the transmission splines. So if you have a set of stubby wrenches and a buddy to help you lift it into place it can be done in a day no problem. :thumb:

Good deal, looks like that will make my list. Thanks for the idea!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have a 2011 3.8 liter v6 automatic and I have been seeing different numbers for the transfer case fluid change and wanted to make sure before I buy too much or not enough. How much will this take ? Also I have the stock axles on right now and will be doing the diff fluid change also, what weight should I be using and how much ?

As mentioned, by 2 qts. and fill till it oozes out the the fill hole. Use the write up posted and you'll be fine.

For your differential, you can use this write-up
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?...K-Wrangler-Differential-Fluid-Change-Write-Up

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks a lot! I have been reading on different weights of gear oil to use. I dont have an lsd (yet) and I do not tow. Will the 75w90 be ok ?

Yup, that's what I would recommend and being that you don't have an LSD, I would recommend that you just use old school dino oil too. :yup:

JeepNfish20

So I just got back form advanced auto and they told me they do not have the 75w90 in dino and that its hard to find. Do I have to go though a dealer for this ? And also might be a stupid question but does the transfer case take the same transmission fluid? Im doing the transfer case and got the Castrol transmax atf+4 auto transmission fluid.
Yup, that's what I would recommend and being that you don't have an LSD, I would recommend that you just use old school dino oil too. :yup:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So I just got back form advanced auto and they told me they do not have the 75w90 in dino and that its hard to find. Do I have to go though a dealer for this ?

No. You can use anything in and about that range and you'll be fine. If you can't find dino, synthetic will work great - it's just more expensive and unnecessary unless you are running a LSD. I would try Walmart. They typically have what you'll need and for cheap.

And also might be a stupid question but does the transfer case take the same transmission fluid? Im doing the transfer case and got the Castrol transmax atf+4 auto transmission fluid.

Your transfer case will need ATF +4. That is NOT the same thing as gear oil.

JeepNfish20

Ok great and I knew the gear oil was different I just didnt know if the transmission fluid and transfer case fluid used the same stuff or not
Thanks
No. You can use anything in and about that range and you'll be fine. If you can't find dino, synthetic will work great - it's just more expensive and unnecessary unless you are running a LSD. I would try Walmart. They typically have what you'll need and for cheap.

Your transfer case will need ATF +4. That is NOT the same thing as gear oil.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Ok great and I knew the gear oil was different I just didnt know if the transmission fluid and transfer case fluid used the same stuff or not
Thanks

Oh, sorry, guess I missed that. If you have an automatic, yes, it is the same fluid, ATF +4. If you have a manual, it is NOT. You would need to use Manual Transmission Fluid and I would recommend Mopar for that.

JeepNfish20

Ok thank you very much, I am some what new to this and learning from scratch so bare with me if i ask any stupid questions hahaha
Oh, sorry, guess I missed that. If you have an automatic, yes, it is the same fluid, ATF +4. If you have a manual, it is NOT. You would need to use Manual Transmission Fluid and I would recommend Mopar for that.

Top Bottom