All things transmission coolers

catahoula

Caught the Bug
So, my 2011 jeep did not come with one. Recently, I had to rebuild my tranny at 114,000 to a tune of @ $2600! I had read and always wanted to put one on. Well I think now is really the time. I am also replacing my radiator as well. One of my goals this year is to go to Utah as well. So I am looking at a few options I will post up and any members can offer feedback on what you intalled and how you like it AND what would you have done differently. Thanks in advance!

Flex-a-lite cooler

This one I have to get a flare tool for factory cut lines

flex a lite.jpg

http://www.quadratec.com/products/17800_1113_07.htm

Guard

flex a liteguard.jpg

http://www.quadratec.com/products/17800_1116_07.htm

Mishimoto aluminum cooler

No flare tool needed just push end and clamp

Mishimoto.jpg

http://www.quadratec.com/products/51210_721X_PG.htm

Last edited:

Rottenbelly

On my old 07 I had it ran a 16000gvw rated tranny cooler.
It helped keep things cool out here in the mtns of utah.
Using the torque app the highest temps I would see were 207 running up the mtns on the street.
Don't remember the brand. It was just cut lines and clamp on new ones. I checked the clamps often and never have had problems with it. The guy that owns the jeep now is local and he still hasn't had any problems with it.

2011jk

Use a stacked plate cooler as they are much more efficient that a tube and fin.
I used a stock Ford cooler SD truck on my old JK.

Attachments

• IMG_0673.jpg
    IMG_0673.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 135

catahoula

Caught the Bug
On my old 07 I had it ran a 16000gvw rated tranny cooler.
It helped keep things cool out here in the mtns of utah.
Using the torque app the highest temps I would see were 207 running up the mtns on the street.
Don't remember the brand. It was just cut lines and clamp on new ones. I checked the clamps often and never have had problems with it. The guy that owns the jeep now is local and he still hasn't had any problems with it.

That looks like the first one I am considering. Seems like an easy install.

ScoobyCarolanNC

I was looking at the Mishi too. Are your lines leaking around the joint where it switches from steel to rubber? It's right above the front pumpkin. Check em and add that to your project list if you need too. I didn't add the cooler yet, but I liked the mishi because they told you how much more oil you'll need. It's not easy to get it right. Too little and you'll have issues. I was a tad low originally and I was slipping under power after it got hot. Then I added too much and it boiled over. That's a fire hazard.

Sent from my duck blind.
Edited to add details.

KYRubi

We installed a Flex-a-lite on my 2011 at the same time as we installed the Rubicrawler. My transmission fluid was getting dark pretty quickly, but at least it didn't stink. The transmission definitely runs cooler with it.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
I was looking at the Mishi too. Are your lines leaking around the joint where it switches from steel to rubber? It's right above the front pumpkin. Check em and add that to your project list if you need too. I didn't add the cooler yet, but I liked the mishi because they told you how much more oil you'll need. It's not easy to get it right. Too little and you'll have issues. I was a tad low originally and I was slipping under power after it got hot. Then I added too much and it boiled over. That's a fire hazard.

Sent from my duck blind.
Edited to add details.

I do like the ease of this one.

We installed a Flex-a-lite on my 2011 at the same time as we installed the Rubicrawler. My transmission fluid was getting dark pretty quickly, but at least it didn't stink. The transmission definitely runs cooler with it.

I installed the Flex-A-Lite on my 08 about 30000 miles ago. Very easy installation and no leaks so far.

Sent from my SM-N920V using WAYALIFE mobile app

I am also looking at the -6AN fitting model. Anyone install this?

As mentioned, staked plate coolers are more efficient than tube and fin. Think of the fluid path in the tube one, that's a lot of extra restriction.

Look what the 2012+ uses for OEM. I would go with something of that design.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/51212_0065_07.htm?gclid=CNrU-9SO-dECFda6wAodE7sJ3g

I will check both of those out.

Anyone run an additional engine cooler too?

Top Bottom