Help. Need ideas on transfer case mounting.

daddyusmaximus

Looking for ideas for my first major project. I need to get the t-case in my CJ5 back up where it belongs. The builder lowered the ass end of the engine, and now the t-case too low. It may have worked for him on the sand dunes, but it won't work for me on trails through the woods. Looking for ideas to fix this mess. T-case is a Dana 20 behind a Chrysler 360 and Torqueflite 727. I also have to figure out a new place for the forward mounts to the axle wrap bars to mount, if I keep them.

This is the mess I need to fix. The t-case looks to be about 7 or 8 inches too low. Help please.

holliewood61

Thats sketchy as hell. Your biggest problem is wheelbase, or lack thereof. If you raise the t-case back up your drive shaft will be at stupid angles. Youll be spitting u-joints like they were sunflower seed shells. My advice is to loose some lift and raise the t-case. You have a very long setup for a cj5 with the automatic trans. Just work within the rig and do what ya gotta do to get it right. Put it back sua if you have to.

Sent from my LGLS991 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Benito

Caught the Bug
Does the Jeep happen to have a body lift as well? If so I would start with removing that.

Edit: nvm a body lift wouldn't cause this

jlassiter

How much is it lifted??
I'm standing outside looking at my cj5 and by your pics your t case is 5 maybe 8 inches farther back then the stock location too...if you can get me some measurements and reference points I'll look at mine and tell you

Sent from my E6782 using WAYALIFE mobile app

daddyusmaximus

I have no idea what springs were used. The rear springs are 2.5" wide and the front only 2" wide. Somebody told me that's the way CJs were from the factory, but I don't remember on what forum that was. I've had a Suburban, and an F250 that were SOA and they did fine with much more weight. (and stiffer springs) I'm not worried about axle wrap or high center of gravity as this is not a daily driver. I drive like a grandpa most of the time anyway. I would like to do a coil over swap one day, but am not certain I'll ever be able to ever afford it. The smart thing to do would be to go to YJ springs. They'll be new, and I'll know what I have. I have read great things about the flexibility of a YJ SOA. I want to be able to run a 35, and I'd rather not cut the hell out of the tub, so this will not be going back SUA.

I have found the carcass of a CJ5 to pick over but it doesn't have much left. I'm gonna try to raise the case with an original skidplate mount off the other CJ, but moved towards the rear. If I have to I'll build a new crossmember, but I want the case up at least a few inches. As she sits now there is no driveline vibrations. I don't mind springing for new the double cardan driveshaft that I'll need. The pumpkin in the rear axle has already been rotated up, and I'll be doing the front likewise. Well, having it done. The tubes or inner Cs will have to be done to get the angles right so the caster isn't off.

The automatic was a big thing for me. I wanted the auto in a CJ5. Thanks to some idiot in Iraq with an IED, I have hip problems and have to walk with a cane, so driving a stick just won't do. Besides, I have driven a stick too many times off road in Army trucks and I don't want that to be how I spend my retirement even if I were still healthy.

Top Bottom