Installing Evo Skins

Defcon3JKU

I just ordered the Evo Mfg rock skins and corners. I'm trying to prep all my tools for the install but can't find anything about hole diameter for drilling or the size of the nut serts. Does anyone have experience enough with the install process that could tell me what all tools I will need for the install? Also I ordered the body mounted tire carrier and was wondering how it installs also. Is it bolted to the skins or more nut serts? Thanks for any info on this.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Rb1boxer_3

I did it last time can't really remember what size nutserts it is but there's a install thread around here about it. I'll look for it and post it up. You have to drill through the skins and jeep tub to install tire carrier.

Out in the Boonies

highoctane

Caught the Bug
I just ordered the Evo Mfg rock skins and corners. I'm trying to prep all my tools for the install but can't find anything about hole diameter for drilling or the size of the nut serts. Does anyone have experience enough with the install process that could tell me what all tools I will need for the install? Also I ordered the body mounted tire carrier and was wondering how it installs also. Is it bolted to the skins or more nut serts? Thanks for any info on this.

The Evo body mounted tire carrier bolts to body through the corner armor. You have to drill holes through the corner armor and body to put the bolts through, and the nuts go on by reaching through the tail light holes. It's a pita but measure multiple times before drilling and it'll turn out great. Use a good step bit.

The driver side upper bracket uses a hole on the armor to properly align the bracket. Make sure it's level, measure it, and place the passenger side upper bracket at the same measurements you got from the driver side. Drill your holes for the upper brackets and mount them before doing anything with the lower brackets. Once you have the upper brackets mounted, mount the tire carrier to the upper brackets and attach the lower brackets to the tire carrier. I did this with the Johnny Joints threaded all the way in, then out one full turn. You'll adjust your upper joints to along with the holes in the brackets. Where your lower brackets touch the body is where you'll want them to mount. Mark your holes for the lower brackets and drill them. Remove the tire carrier and bolt down all your mount brackets.

I don't have the instructions for mounting the armor, but if you look on Quadratec, they sell Evo Mfg products and have the installation instructions available for download, in color. Check out the rocker armor and corner armor instructions. One of them will tell you what size drill bit to use for the nutserts. They both use 1/4 x 20 stainless steel nutserts IIRC.

Last edited:

Defcon3JKU

The Evo body mounted tire carrier bolts to body through the corner armor. You have to drill holes through the corner armor and body to put the bolts through, and the nuts go on by reaching through the tail light holes. It's a pita but measure multiple times before drilling and it'll turn out great. Use a good step bit.

The driver side upper bracket uses a hole on the armor to properly align the bracket. Make sure it's level, measure it, and place the passenger side upper bracket at the same measurements you got from the driver side. Drill your holes for the upper brackets and mount them before doing anything with the lower brackets. Once you have the upper brackets mounted, mount the tire carrier to the upper brackets and attach the lower brackets to the tire carrier. I did this with the Johnny Joints threaded all the way in, then out one full turn. You'll adjust your upper joints to along with the holes in the brackets. Where your lower brackets touch the body is where you'll want them to mount. Mark your holes for the lower brackets and drill them. Remove the tire carrier and bolt down all your mount brackets.

I don't have the instructions for mounting the armor, but if you look on Quadratec, they sell Evo Mfg products and have the installation instructions available for download, in color. Check out the rocker armor and corner armor instructions. One of them will tell you what size drill bit to use for the nutserts. They both use 1/4 x 20 stainless steel nutserts IIRC.

Thanks for the info. I'm trying to get all this done in 2 days so I can drop everything off to be powder coated Monday. Trying to avoid running to hardware store during install.

rcdude3

I used a "W" letter drill bit, a 3/8" works too as stated above and is easier to come by. :thumb: Also, I put a bad of red locktite to help the nut sert stay in the long run.

Top Bottom