Vented Hoods and Radiators for MoTech Jeep in AZ

LiveFree0rDie

I live in AZ and jeeping in the summer can be kind of touch and go with the heat management of my JKU Rubi. I had an LS 6.0 motor swap by Robbie's crew over at Motech. I tried his prototype radiator which seemed to work well when towing a trailer up to Flagstaff in the summer... temp went from the usual dead-center to about the 3/4 mark when I had to drop down to low gear and run it at high RPMs during the steeper parts of the drive. The radiator did develop a problem and due to time constraints I had a local shop just put a stock one back in because I couldn't wait for one from Vegas. No digs on Robbie, it was one that one of his guys was experimenting with and we understood it wasn't time-tested.

That being said, I did Chivo falls this weekend and even though it was 60 degrees out, the temp at idle/slow crawls did creep up a notch. That doesn't bode well for spring or summer trips with this stock radiator/fan.

Any of you guys in the desert area find a rock solid heat management solution? I know Robbie now offers some aftermarket modded radiators and fans, but I don't know if I'm up for a Vegas trip any time soon. I was thinking a vented hood might make it more tolerable? Not sure if they are truly functional or more cosmetic.

If it helps, I do have the large WARN winch with the compressor (love that thing... with Monster valves, it gets 37's from 10lbs to 30lbs in about a minute each) but the winch is sunk down in the bumper and barely blocks the radiator. And it seems like the gauge moves more often when idling in line waiting to tackle an obstacle and sometimes when slow crawling. Driving around never budges unless I am doing extended drives at low-gear/high-RPM to get up to the mountains.

I know there are a TON of Wayalife guys in AZ and maybe a couple with aftermarket motors that may have already solved this?

Thanks in advance. LFoD

Kalums

One of my friends (not on the forum) did the hemi swap and ran into a similar problem with his, he tried it all including running with no hood for a few weeks... Changed the thermostat had the system completely flushed, Didn't matter as soon as he turned on the a/c here in the summer with traffic on the 17 temp started creeping up. Finally switched out his radiator and fan... I haven't heard him complain yet. I'm not sure which radiator and fan he went with but I'm pretty sure it was a moshimoto kit that came with both parts... (not sure tho) he has an 09 if that makes any difference. Hope that helps.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using WAYALIFE mobile app

2011jk

Robbie has a 52mm new Radiator available that and the 3.6 fan assembly should keep temps under control.

I'd run a vented hood so the air got somewhere to go, same for vented inner fenders.

LiveFree0rDie

I'll look at the vented hoods, it can't hurt. As far as the radiator... I heard the Mishimotos had a real problem with core leaks but that was a few years ago... maybe they fixed it? I will hit up Robbie and ask about the new radiator. I also found one offered by RpmExtreme supposedly for LS swapped Jeeps, but I can't find anyone posting their experiences with it. Anyways, thanks for the feedback.

Kalums

I'll look at the vented hoods, it can't hurt. As far as the radiator... I heard the Mishimotos had a real problem with core leaks but that was a few years ago... maybe they fixed it? I will hit up Robbie and ask about the new radiator. I also found one offered by RpmExtreme supposedly for LS swapped Jeeps, but I can't find anyone posting their experiences with it. Anyways, thanks for the feedback.
Never heard anything about the leaks, his isn't asked him this morning. He pulls a boat or camper with his up to Flagstaff and or Powell on a regular basis so... I would think he would have complained about any problems by now. Hope you can get it fixed soon, AZ summer is right around the corner.

2011jk

Robbie doesn't use a Mishimoto its a custom made Radiator.

LiveFree0rDie

Robbie doesn't use a Mishimoto its a custom made Radiator.

Yep, I know. I had an earlier prototype. Kalums mentioned his buddy got a Mishi and I recalled that the TJ versions got great reviews but the JK ones seemed to have core leaks... it was a few years back, I don't remember the details. I did look on Amazon and there were some similar 1-star reviews for the JK Mishimoto. But Kalums' friend hasn't had an issue.

I will reach out to Robbie this week. I also may just do a hood louver rather than a whole hood swap. Poison Spyder makes an inexpensive one and Run Cool has long narrow louvers that run down the sides for about the same price... either of those might work too.

KYRubi

I can feel, and even see heat coming out of the vents in my Rugged Ridge hood. I also have vented Crawler Conceptz inner fenders and can feel a lot of heat come out through them. I don't know how much difference they actually make, but I have to think they do something feeling the amount of heat escaping through them. I would definitely think that a vented hood and vented inner fenders could help.

IMG_0542_zpsqkdp1jgo.jpg

E376AB2E-0087-4848-93E5-11AC42CB9331_zpsnrl4c3v3.jpg

Kalums

Yep, I know. I had an earlier prototype. Kalums mentioned his buddy got a Mishi and I recalled that the TJ versions got great reviews but the JK ones seemed to have core leaks... it was a few years back, I don't remember the details. I did look on Amazon and there were some similar 1-star reviews for the JK Mishimoto. But Kalums' friend hasn't had an issue.

I will reach out to Robbie this week. I also may just do a hood louver rather than a whole hood swap. Poison Spyder makes an inexpensive one and Run Cool has long narrow louvers that run down the sides for about the same price... either of those might work too.
I'm going to have to tell my friend he got lucky, after posting this up I did a little net surfing and sure enough people have had a lot of trouble out of the mishi radiators in the JK. Sorry to point you in the wrong direction.

sc_rhino

Living here in AL I had RPM Extreme do my swap and originally had some issues with it getting warm with my 10 fan and regular upgraded radiator. After upgrading to the pentastar fan and even larger radiator (2.5 in outside dimension) temps seem to be under control. I also have the hood louvre and warn powerplant. The fan pulls a lot more air, is thinner, and is has variable speed.

WW_Svi

Not sure what the jeep specs are for fans, but I am running a ls2 in my Bmw for scca racing and I know those specs. The Thermo stat will do nothing to help keep you engine cool, it is there to keep it warm, 200f (3.6 jeep seems to be 200f but ls2 is 190f I believe). The radiator is important but the fan is the most important. If you don't have heating issues while driving without a load (trailer) then the radiator is doing it job. If you have heating issues with a load (up hills or trailer) then you need a better radiator. If your radiator is working correctly then you can look into the fan. This includes how much cfm the fan is pulling and when the fan is coming on. Many time the fan will be two stages and may come on at 215 and high speed at 230. In not sure what temps jeep is, those are examples. I am also not sure how jeep controls the fan, if it is preset in the ecu or a temp switch. Changing those for the application you are running can be helpful. Maybe even wire in a manual switch to turn on the fan for when you are off roading.

Also, if you are a bit crafty you can find a ton of different radiator sizes, height width and thickness, but looking around the different car sites such as jegs, summit and etc. even the circle track guys are using different stuff that is proven and well made. You will most likely need to make new radiator mounts but you might be able to get a lot thicker radiator this way.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:
Not sure what the jeep specs are for fans, but I am running a ls2 in my Bmw for scca racing and I know those specs. The Thermo stat will do nothing to help keep you engine cool, it is there to keep it warm, 200f (3.6 jeep seems to be 200f but ls2 is 190f I believe). The radiator is important but the fan is the most important. If you don't have heating issues while driving without a load (trailer) then the radiator is doing it job. If you have heating issues with a load (up hills or trailer) then you need a better radiator. If your radiator is working correctly then you can look into the fan. This includes how much cfm the fan is pulling and when the fan is coming on. Many time the fan will be two stages and may come on at 215 and high speed at 230. In not sure what temps jeep is, those are examples. I am also not sure how jeep controls the fan, if it is preset in the ecu or a temp switch. Changing those for the application you are running can be helpful. Maybe even wire in a manual switch to turn on the fan for when you are off roading.

Also, if you are a bit crafty you can find a ton of different radiator sizes, height width and thickness, but looking around the different car sites such as jegs, summit and etc. even the circle track guys are using different stuff that is proven and well made. You will most likely need to make new radiator mounts but you might be able to get a lot thicker radiator this way.

You have a ls2 in w Beamer? Please tell me it is a 3 series

ScoobyCarolanNC

I live in AZ and jeeping in the summer can be kind of touch and go with the heat management of my JKU Rubi. I had an LS 6.0 motor swap by Robbie's crew over at Motech. I tried his prototype radiator which seemed to work well when towing a trailer up to Flagstaff in the summer... temp went from the usual dead-center to about the 3/4 mark when I had to drop down to low gear and run it at high RPMs during the steeper parts of the drive. The radiator did develop a problem and due to time constraints I had a local shop just put a stock one back in because I couldn't wait for one from Vegas. No digs on Robbie, it was one that one of his guys was experimenting with and we understood it wasn't time-tested.

That being said, I did Chivo falls this weekend and even though it was 60 degrees out, the temp at idle/slow crawls did creep up a notch. That doesn't bode well for spring or summer trips with this stock radiator/fan.

Any of you guys in the desert area find a rock solid heat management solution? I know Robbie now offers some aftermarket modded radiators and fans, but I don't know if I'm up for a Vegas trip any time soon. I was thinking a vented hood might make it more tolerable? Not sure if they are truly functional or more cosmetic.

If it helps, I do have the large WARN winch with the compressor (love that thing... with Monster valves, it gets 37's from 10lbs to 30lbs in about a minute each) but the winch is sunk down in the bumper and barely blocks the radiator. And it seems like the gauge moves more often when idling in line waiting to tackle an obstacle and sometimes when slow crawling. Driving around never budges unless I am doing extended drives at low-gear/high-RPM to get up to the mountains.

I know there are a TON of Wayalife guys in AZ and maybe a couple with aftermarket motors that may have already solved this?

Thanks in advance. LFoD

Those crawler concepts/Evo/etc vented liners might be a real help. I wonder if anyone has actually tested the AEV/Rubicon Hard rock hood to see if it makes a difference? Their marketing says it does, but they also say their control arm brackets are great.

Sent from my duck blind.

Top Bottom