Front fender question

Gibbo

Does anyone know if I can pull the inside front fender plastics out without losing to much support for the fender itself. I'm trying to get more air into the engine bay, thought this would help:thinking:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If you're referring to the fender liner, sure, you can rip the whole thing out. When running coil overs, you have to take it out. The actual fender is supported by a separate sub structure and does not need the liner.

Gibbo

If you're referring to the fender liner, sure, you can rip the whole thing out. When running coil overs, you have to take it out. The actual fender is supported by a separate sub structure and does not need the liner.
Yes I'm referring to the liner. We've had heavy rain for two days now and I'm bored, so tomarrow out they come. thanks for quick reply.:thumb:

kevinp

I cut my fenders and pulled all that out. Then, after helping a couple other Jeepers cut theirs, I realized I should have left the support pieces that are directly under the fender intact. Oh well. I'm looking at steel replacements eventually anyway. haha But yeah, it comes out just by removing the retainers and there might be a couple of 10mm bolts. I thought the engine would be trashed from wheeling in mud, but it isn't as bad as I though.

Gibbo

I cut my fenders and pulled all that out. Then, after helping a couple other Jeepers cut theirs, I realized I should have left the support pieces that are directly under the fender intact. Oh well. I'm looking at steel replacements eventually anyway. haha But yeah, it comes out just by removing the retainers and there might be a couple of 10mm bolts. I thought the engine would be trashed from wheeling in mud, but it isn't as bad as I though.

O.k. I'll pull out the thinner liners, but leave the support piece directly under fender intact. Thanks for your help.

FrankenJeeper

I have been wondering about this as well, regarding to how the engine compartment looks after running with no liners for a while. My biggest concern is the hard lines that are exposed. Has anyone had any issues/damage from running with no liners?

kevinp

I have been wondering about this as well, regarding to how the engine compartment looks after running with no liners for a while. My biggest concern is the hard lines that are exposed. Has anyone had any issues/damage from running with no liners?

I have not. Now, my only wheeling after taking them out has been once in some mud with little hill/articulation opportunity and three with. The only problem I had was I kept knocking the side marker off (it was only zip-tied up there). I have since installed .75" LEDs. If they get knocked out, I'm pretty sure I have bigger problems than a marker light. :) I imagine if one is out making their own trails through brush and small trees, it could be a possibility.

The engine does get a little muddy, but nothing my small Craftsman pressure washer can't handle. I'm sure a car wash sprayer would serve the same benefit.

Hope this helps.

Gibbo

Took out front liners with no problems everything is sweet. What about the rear fenders, can the liners come out as well without losing to much support?

Top Bottom