Moving from 35's to 37's

Big K

I'm going to step up for 35's to 37's on my 2013 JKU Rubicon my questions are. Truss or sleeve the front axle and 4:88 or 5:13 gears.
It's my daily driver. Any input would be helpful

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

GraniteCrystal

Most I've read say don't bother with truss and sleeves. Just put gussets on your Cs.

Gears: it's an auto? Do 5.13

This is the exact plan for mine as soon as I find some wheels

the_debtenator

Sleeves are not going to keep the axle from snapping beyond contrary beliefs

You are right to an extent. There will always be a weak spot where the tube enters the housing. But the failures I have seen were all on the passenger side tube, cracked right in half after an impact with a rock. The JK axle tubes walls are simply too thin, the sleeves help add thickness and will help prevent the actual axle tubes from breaking

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
You are right to an extent. There will always be a weak spot where the tube enters the housing. But the failures I have seen were all on the passenger side tube, cracked right in half after an impact with a rock. The JK axle tubes walls are simply too thin, the sleeves help add thickness and will help prevent the actual axle tubes from breaking

There were a few pics posted on here even where they had sleeves installed and the tube still broke over the sleeve. Im sure you could even google it and have pics pop up. Then as you mentioned them still bending and breaking at the pumpkin.

the_debtenator

There were a few pics posted on here even where they had sleeves installed and the tube still broke over the sleeve. Im sure you could even google it and have pics pop up. Then as you mentioned them still bending and breaking at the pumpkin.

I was just saying they do help. For around 150$ it is a good upgrade to a stock axle. Of course it's no guarantee they won't break! I've seen tons snap, nothing is bulletproof, but the sleeves will help to an extent

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

How would a sleeve help this from happening?

Explain.

IMG_2757.JPG

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I was just saying they do help. For around 150$ it is a good upgrade to a stock axle. Of course it's no guarantee they won't break! I've seen tons snap, nothing is bulletproof, but the sleeves will help to an extent

So if they are so good then how come you have a pr44 instead of a d30/44 with sleeves?

CVOORHEIS

Now whether this make sense or not the pound in sleeves are knurled and with that I think it would help actually hold and axle together versus a welded in one where you're actually compromising an axle and drilling them to rosette weld them into place crating gaps in strength because you have gaps in what is holding it versus knurls that are mm apart. My .02 whether it's true or not. I've hit my d30 axle tube on rocks and never seen a sheer or even a slight bend. I have the pound in sleeves and feel it's made a difference. Again my .02

Sent from my SM-G930T using WAYALIFE mobile app

the_debtenator

So if they are so good then how come you have a pr44 instead of a d30/44 with sleeves?

Are we really going to get this nit picky... ok fine. I had a sleeved and gusseted 44, broke all the axle mounts after a collision, also broke a shaft. Why not upgrade??? Thanks for being so worried. Plus a pr44 comes with built in caster correction, half inch thick tubes, better clearance, thicker brackets and beefier C's

Are we really going to get this nit picky... ok fine. I had a sleeved and gusseted 44, broke all the axle mounts after a collision, also broke a shaft. Why not upgrade??? Thanks for being so worried. Plus a pr44 comes with built in caster correction, half inch thick tubes, better clearance, thicker brackets and beefier C's

Not picky? Get over yourself.

They are simply trying to get the point across that you are giving bad advice. Better advice is to weld on some C-gussets and save for axels if you think you really need them.

the_debtenator

Not picky? Get over yourself.

They are simply trying to get the point across that you are giving bad advice. Better advice is to weld on some C-gussets and save for axels if you think you really need them.

How am I giving bad advice by saying sleeves help!!? Yes they help! Please tell me how in the world I'm giving bad advice? I'm reccomend sleeves that cost under 200$ and install in less than 2 hours, that's a lot more reasonable for most people, opposed to reccomending them to save up for a 5k axle

Top Bottom