?'s about the Rebel Offroad Black out kit

scrota76

So, I was dream shopping tonight and I ran across the Rebel Offroad Blackout Kit. For those not familiar it is a rotopax mounting system that replaces the side rear windows of the hard top. I have a couple questions:

Anyone here have them?
How did the back windows come out?
Is there extra wind noise after install?
Is there extra squeaking and rattle?
Does it seem well built?
Is Rebel Offroad reputable? (I've never bought from them)
If you have them, any regrets?

It seems like a neat idea, especially since I can't mount rotopax on my spare tire mount. Or I at least have not found a way to mount them to my AEV Tire carrier with gas can. So, that would be another question:

Has anyone found a way to mount rotopax to the AEV spare tire carrier with a gas can?

I go on multi day trips, and usually have a wookie with me, so space is a premium. An addition of rotopax for recovery gear would be awesome, I think.

As always, thanks for all the help.

Jon

Sent from my SM-G935V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
So, I was dream shopping tonight and I ran across the Rebel Offroad Blackout Kit. For those not familiar it is a rotopax mounting system that replaces the side rear windows of the hard top. I have a couple questions:

Anyone here have them?
How did the back windows come out?
Is there extra wind noise after install?
Is there extra squeaking and rattle?
Does it seem well built?
Is Rebel Offroad reputable? (I've never bought from them)
If you have them, any regrets?

It seems like a neat idea, especially since I can't mount rotopax on my spare tire mount. Or I at least have not found a way to mount them to my AEV Tire carrier with gas can. So, that would be another question:

Has anyone found a way to mount rotopax to the AEV spare tire carrier with a gas can?

I go on multi day trips, and usually have a wookie with me, so space is a premium. An addition of rotopax for recovery gear would be awesome, I think.

As always, thanks for all the help.

Jon

Don't know anything about that kit. I have the AEV carrier as well and plan on doing the rotopax spare mount that is essentially a ratchet strap you slide the mount on and wrap it around the spare. If you wheel without the top on where would you put the pax with the rebel kit?

IMG_0393.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

OhNoTheJiggies

Don't know anything about that kit. I have the AEV carrier as well and plan on doing the rotopax spare mount that is essentially a ratchet strap you slide the mount on and wrap it around the spare. If you wheel without the top on where would you put the pax with the rebel kit?

View attachment 243089

This guy!

This guy blew my mind!

I was all about the rotopax in the rear windows thing... But now I realize that I often wheel without my top.

You sir, ask the right questions!

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I still think that kit looks awesome if you run a hardtop, but the only thing I remember every really reading about the kit was they tend to leak if you dont seal them up perfectly.

Who sells that tire mount?

FuriousDz

I still think that kit looks awesome if you run a hardtop, but the only thing I remember every really reading about the kit was they tend to leak if you dont seal them up perfectly.

quick search found this

Rock-Slide Engineering - RotopaX Universal Tire Mounts (Heavy Duty Ratchet Strap)

scrota76

I'm that guy, the guy that fears taking my hard top off. The most I have done is take the front panels off and that was only to install a couple things. I love my jeep, but just don't have any desire to go topless. I known I'm weird.

I do like the ratchet strap idea. Keeps me from having to drill holes into the hard top.

Anyone else have rotopax mounting ideas? Besides a roof rack.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
I'm that guy, the guy that fears taking my hard top off. The most I have done is take the front panels off and that was only to install a couple things. I love my jeep, but just don't have any desire to go topless. I known I'm weird.

Go topless. You'll get the desire to do it more. [emoji106]

scrota76

I looked at the Rick Slide Engineering spare tire mount. Looks good, little pricey for what it is, but then again they used the word Jeep in the description so that adds 20% right there.

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
One concern I've seen raised here before about mounting Rotopax to your hardtop is that you're carrying a lot of weight up high as well as mounted to fiberglass. A 2.5 gal rotopax full of gas weighs 15.5 lbs not including the rotopax. Carry two of them and that's 31 lbs supported by a top that only weighs 70lbs itself.

1gal gasoline = 6.183lbs
1gal water = 8.36lbs

I have seen a custom mount for Rotopax welded to the AEV carrier but the guy was really good and could weld and designed it in CAD.

Mybadjk

Caught the Bug

I do like the ratchet strap idea. Keeps me from having to drill holes into the hard top.

Anyone else have rotopax mounting ideas? Besides a roof rack.

Theirs rotopax mounts that go inside on your roll cage. Probably not recommended to have gasoline containers inside.

Speedy_RCW

Hooked

Rebel makes one.

Edit- I guess I misspoke. Looks like Rebel just sells the RSE one.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

scrota76

View attachment 243089

My only real concern with these is the gas can behind the spare tire. I would worry that they would not set flush, or as intended, because the gas can would get in the way. So, here is my solution to this, I say you buy it asap, get the rotopax can that carries supplies, mount it and tell me how it goes! Haha, but seriously, if you have the gas can, will you let me know how it goes? Thanks

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
My only real concern with these is the gas can behind the spare tire. I would worry that they would not set flush, or as intended, because the gas can would get in the way. So, here is my solution to this, I say you buy it asap, get the rotopax can that carries supplies, mount it and tell me how it goes! Haha, but seriously, if you have the gas can, will you let me know how it goes? Thanks

I don't have the gas can on my carrier. But it looks like there'd be plenty of room on the drivers side. But I gotcha, I'd hate to spend money on something that doesn't fit.

Top Bottom