Opinions wanted!

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
OK guys, I'm about ready for the next round if small mods on my Jeep but am finding myself torn on a couple items. Trying to decide between the ProGrips and the new PSC big bore steering gear. Eventually I'll do both but funds don't allow that right now. Curious what you guys would do and your reasoning behind it? The ProGrips are badass and with a new baby that rides in the Jeep from time to time, it would be safer and nice to have the increased stopping power. But, a busted sector shaft could leave me high and dry on the trail which sucks. So let's hear your opinions. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ddays

Hooked
I'd do the brakes. Having them and seeing the difference from stock is very convincing.
Is breaking a sector shaft common out west? I've personally never seen it.

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
I'd do the brakes. Having them and seeing the difference from stock is very convincing.
Is breaking a sector shaft common out west? I've personally never seen it.

I don't know if I'd say it's common but it does happen. 37's, stock steering, and big rocks don't play nice together. I haven't seen it in person but read plenty of threads about it. And when it does happen, you're just screwed.

Markymark420

What do you feel is more lacking on your rig?
Since I haven't done either upgrade myself, this will be based on assumption.
Both are safety related and would be a good pick in my book but I would think the brakes would would show their benefit in daily driving as well as on the trail.
The steering gear upgrade will mostly benefit on the trail (and probably slow speed maneuvering around parking lots at at the mall).

Also, the steering box is a relatively new product to the marketplace and while it might seem like a benefit to take advantage of the pre-order incentive pricing, there aren't all that many in everyday use in the real world. I have faith in PSC and their engineering/manufacturing processes, but I haven't heard too much feedback from the costumer base (outside of Mel's feedback from Spicy Chicken) on their new steering box versus their tried and true hyd-assist system.

WJCO

Meme King
I think the brakes would be a more practical mod especially if you use the Jeep on the road everyday. Matt (Rancho) broke a sector shaft on a remote trail out here and now carries a spare gearbox just in case. That's an option as well.

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
What do you feel is more lacking on your rig?
Since I haven't done either upgrade myself, this will be based on assumption.
Both are safety related and would be a good pick in my book but I would think the brakes would would show their benefit in daily driving as well as on the trail.
The steering gear upgrade will mostly benefit on the trail (and probably slow speed maneuvering around parking lots at at the mall).

Also, the steering box is a relatively new product to the marketplace and while it might seem like a benefit to take advantage of the pre-order incentive pricing, there aren't all that many in everyday use in the real world. I have faith in PSC and their engineering/manufacturing processes, but I haven't heard too much feedback from the costumer base (outside of Mel's feedback from Spicy Chicken) on their new steering box versus their tried and true hyd-assist system.

Solid points. Thanks. I'd say my Jeep is lacking in both regards. While I can stop, the brakes are definitely sub-par since the slabs and TG's. I had planned on doing the hydro assist but when the new box came out, the price difference lured me in.

NecessaryEvil

Caught the Bug
If you mainly drive on the highway, I would do the Progrips. Either mod would be nice. If you decide to choose differently, the PSC gear box will be reliable (even though its a brand new product). I think PSC knows what their doing.:thumb:

jeeeep

Hooked
I'd agree with the others on brakes 1st, it's your DD and your family rides with you on occasion I'd be for stopping as well as possible. and you'll enjoy the stopping benefits on the trails as well.

The feeling out on the trail, on a steep incline realizing the stock brakes aren't holding you as you grab the ER brake and pump the peddle more ...not a good feeling, ask me :eek:

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
I appreciate all the feedback guys. Looks like you've swayed me towards the ProGrips. While it's not my DD it is the vehicle I use when driving the kid around. Kind of hard to fit a car seat in the back of my 2-door commuter. I'm sure the added stopping power will be worth it. Of course if I break a sector shaft, I'll call you all assholes. -kidding- Thanks again guys.

JeepJeep75

I appreciate all the feedback guys. Looks like you've swayed me towards the ProGrips. While it's not my DD it is the vehicle I use when driving the kid around. Kind of hard to fit a car seat in the back of my 2-door commuter. I'm sure the added stopping power will be worth it. Of course if I break a sector shaft, I'll call you all assholes. -kidding- Thanks again guys.

Ha! We would expect nothing less!! I'm in about the same situation/decision process between PSC or ProGrips as you are. I too have been swayed to do ProGrips first.

Thanks for choosing the ProGrip kit, you won't be disappointed! Give us a call at 714-421-4314 and we can get you taken care of!

Basscat

OK guys, I'm about ready for the next round if small mods on my Jeep but am finding myself torn on a couple items. Trying to decide between the ProGrips and the new PSC big bore steering gear. Eventually I'll do both but funds don't allow that right now. Curious what you guys would do and your reasoning behind it? The ProGrips are badass and with a new baby that rides in the Jeep from time to time, it would be safer and nice to have the increased stopping power. But, a busted sector shaft could leave me high and dry on the trail which sucks. So let's hear your opinions. Thanks in advance.

If you've got a JK I wouldn't worry about the sector shaft too much. That's not as bad of an issue as it was with the TJ.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom