alignment problems

bekel

hi I got a 15jku 4" bds 35's I cannt keep it aligned its been in 4 times to different shops and the dealer replaced the steering box everything is tight as far as I can tell.
I get an alignment steering wheel will be straight for about 2-3 days then it goes out about a 1/4 of a turn always to the right any ideas on what to look for

boardsurfer

A quarter of a turn? As in 90 degrees?! Wow, that's a long way to be off. Assuming the front end is good to go after all the work, maybe your rear axle is not secure. Google Thrust Angle.

JRUnlimited

hi I got a 15jku 4" bds 35's I cannt keep it aligned its been in 4 times to different shops and the dealer replaced the steering box everything is tight as far as I can tell.
I get an alignment steering wheel will be straight for about 2-3 days then it goes out about a 1/4 of a turn always to the right any ideas on what to look for

Are you still using the stock drag link?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Is your steering gear spinning inside the pitman arm? That is the only thing I can imagine that would cause that much movement that quickly.

Sent from my SM-G870W using WAYALIFE mobile app

That's my thought. If the bds kit came with a dropped pitman arm than that would cause it, especially if it's not torqued to spec. It's 195 ft/lbs and a very important spec

jkrichard

I will check that when I get home
Keep in mind that if that Is the issue the splines will likely be destroyed, hopefully only on the pitman arm, if it's the steering gear that's damaged that really blows.

Edit :
I see in your profile that it was a dealer installed lift. If they didn't tighten the pitman arm maybe they will give you a complimentary replacement part for anything they caused damage to. I'd also go over the entire rig and make sure things are installed properly and I'd go as far as loosening all the control arms and parts with bushings to be sure they are torqued at ride height.

Last edited:

bekel

Keep in mind that if that Is the issue the splines will likely be destroyed, hopefully only on the pitman arm, if it's the steering gear that's damaged that really blows.

Edit :
I see in your profile that it was a dealer installed lift. If they didn't tighten the pitman arm maybe they will give you a complimentary replacement part for anything they caused damage to. I'd also go over the entire rig and make sure things are installed properly and I'd go as far as loosening all the control arms and parts with bushings to be sure they are torqued at ride height.

so I spent the weekend under my rig everything was tight had a buddy move the steering wheel while I watched everything looked good very little to no movement before wheels moved

jkrichard

so I spent the weekend under my rig everything was tight had a buddy move the steering wheel while I watched everything looked good very little to no movement before wheels moved
If it takes some road forces to get things to move, get a marker and draw a line across the pitman arm and steering gear, with the tires pointed straight ahead mark the location of the drag link and the knuckle, as well as the tie rod ends on the knuckles.

Make sure that the pinch bolts on the adjusters for the track bar, and drag link are tight and then mark them too.

Mark shit that moves on the front end so you have an idea on what is twisting or being moved while driving. Do your regular routine and when it's off center, get crawling around and see what if anything has moved.

That's about all I can offer for thoughts on how to find out what's happening.

A quarter of a turn in the steering wheel is a huge amount to move.

jkrichard

Yes I get its just the steering wheel but something has to move somewhere. It can really only be a few things. If the wheel alignment doesnt change then it can only be the track bar or drag link not maintaining the same length, steering box not retaining a solid hold on the pitman arm, the u joints slipping on the rod that goes from the steering wheel to the steering box, or the actual steering wheel not fixed on the the steering shaft that goes to the steering box.

There really aren't other options unless the rear axle is twisted and causing to kick the back out to the side and you have to hold the steering wheel sideways to go in a straight line.

Top Bottom