Straightening an Aluminum Wheel

Grubbicon

Curious if anyone has attempted to beat one back straight enough to hold air. I got a bent one and was gonna have it professionally straightened but debating trying to take a sledge hammer to it first so i can ride tomorrow but worried it may crack it. I wanna say Ive heard of people heating the wheel up with a torch hitting it a few times. Id like to hear some opinions

WJCO

Meme King
Curious if anyone has attempted to beat one back straight enough to hold air. I got a bent one and was gonna have it professionally straightened but debating trying to take a sledge hammer to it first so i can ride tomorrow but worried it may crack it. I wanna say Ive heard of people heating the wheel up with a torch hitting it a few times. Id like to hear some opinions

I look at a good 50 wheels per week that are bent or cracked. They're nearly all aluminum and on the German cars with low profile tires and it's pretty common to have them bend. Every shop I know of that finds them bent, sends them out to have them repaired. I don't think it costs too much either.

I just looked on youtube and saw some dudes using a sledge or a bottle jack but yes they apply heat first.

Grubbicon

I look at a good 50 wheels per week that are bent or cracked. They're nearly all aluminum and on the German cars with low profile tires and it's pretty common to have them bend. Every shop I know of that finds them bent, sends them out to have them repaired. I don't think it costs too much either.

I just looked on youtube and saw some dudes using a sledge or a bottle jack but yes they apply heat first.

Bottle jacks not a bad idea sounds little bit better then a sledge. Did they happen to say hot they were getting?

Top Bottom