Roof rack hoist/storage in garage /ceiling

Learo2000GT

Hello:

I am looking at making a hoist to take off my garvin roof rack when I am not using it. I was curious if anyone may have pictures or suggestions. My ceiling is only a foot away from the roof rack. I was thinking 4 eye bolts and Rachet straps but any examples would be appreciated. Thanks Doug.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I was thinking about the same thing . My thought was to buy an electric over head hoist from harbor freight. And mount that to the garage ceiling.. I think they run about 99.00.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Ddays

Hooked
Watch the sales on the Jeep Warehouse sites. I bought a Smittybilt electric hoist right before Christmas for $150 shipped. I was going to do what you guys are looking to do, but figured WTH for that much...

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Back in the day, this is how I stored my top in my garage...

DSC06716.jpg

DSC06721.jpg

DSC06717.jpg

Super cheap and worked well. I could even do it by myself but it did take some effort.

JKbrick

I was thinking about the same thing . My thought was to buy an electric over head hoist from harbor freight. And mount that to the garage ceiling.. I think they run about 99.00.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

If there isn't room to mount it to the ceiling you can bolt it to a rafter in the attic and drop the cable through a small hole in the drywall

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

CharlesC

Thanks Eddie!! Bannquet approved!! Worked awesome and saved me some $[emoji106] was able to put the freedom tops on top for storage🥃. Now time for the soft top!
My brother told me, " sell that fucker, you will NEVER put that back on, what the hell ya doing! " Time will tell [emoji848]! IMG_0330.jpg

Dominic

Here is what I do. 4 eyelets, and 4 ratchet straps
IMG_1434.jpg

I back the Jeep under and release the straps to put it back on. It takes about 15 minutes each way.

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Here is what I do. 4 eyelets, and 4 ratchet straps
View attachment 246868

I back the Jeep under and release the straps to put it back on. It takes about 15 minutes each way.

Doesn't the strap tear up the rear window seal or do you raise it just high enough to get it off the Jeep, drive out and leave it there?

Exactly how I do it as well. Just as easy as one of those fancy lifts. The thing only weighs like 70#.

Sent from my XT1254 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Hmm, mine weighs twice as much [emoji848].

outkast7222

Doesn't the strap tear up the rear window seal or do you raise it just high enough to get it off the Jeep, drive out and leave it there?

Hmm, mine weighs twice as much [emoji848].
The strap hasn't hurt my rear seal yet, fingers crossed I guess...

As far as weight I guess I never weighed mine but I have a two door and can easily carry the rear section around by myself.

Sent from my XT1254 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Dominic

The ratchet straps don't rub over the seals the way I do them. I only lift the top off a few inches and drive the Jeep out. I leave it suspended in the car port until it's time to put it back on. Then I back the Jeep up using the mirrors to get it even on both sides. Once it's lined up properly I release the ratchets and the top drops down about 2 or 3 inches onto the Jeep. It works great and only takes about 15 minutes on or off. Oh and the by yourself part is great!

Dom

Top Bottom