Transmission fluid change.

10abadilla/jk

I changed the transmission fluid and replaced the filter in my 2012. The dealer told me it takes 5.5 quarts for a pan drop. I put 5 quarts in and it looks overfilled by about a quart. Does anyone know how much it actually takes for a pan drop?

Sent from my LG-H900 using WAYALIFE mobile app

ScoobyCarolanNC

Based on my (terrible) experience overfilling mine you want to be around 4.25. I went over 5 and it boiled over.

Sent from my duck blind.

WJCO

Meme King
I put 5 and had to pull the pan again and drain about half a quart. Thank you guys. Live and learn

Sorry you had to go through that. In the future, auto parts stores sell transfer pumps. It's basically a 4-5 foot hose with a bulb in the middle. You put the suction side hose down the transmission dipstick tube and the other end in a container. Then squeeze the bulb until the desired amount of fluid comes out.

10abadilla/jk

Sorry you had to go through that. In the future, auto parts stores sell transfer pumps. It's basically a 4-5 foot hose with a bulb in the middle. You put the suction side hose down the transmission dipstick tube and the other end in a container. Then squeeze the bulb until the desired amount of fluid comes out.
I don't know why I didn't think about that. I was probably to focused and worried. Ill buy one for sure next time I go to the parts store. That way I have it for next time. Other then that and it being a messy job. It went really well. Fluid looked very clean in the transmission. And the transfer case looked brand new when I drained it. Not a bit of debris. I was just glad to see no metal shavings in either fluid. Thank you again.

ScoobyCarolanNC

I don't know why I didn't think about that. I was probably to focused and worried. Ill buy one for sure next time I go to the parts store. That way I have it for next time. Other then that and it being a messy job. It went really well. Fluid looked very clean in the transmission. And the transfer case looked brand new when I drained it. Not a bit of debris. I was just glad to see no metal shavings in either fluid. Thank you again.

You live and learn. I overfilled my diffs twice & went through hell trying to get the transmission right. In the end I used a pump from Advanced auto parts to suck it back out, but I couldn't get it to work at first so I almost dropped the pan again too.

Sent from my duck blind.

Top Bottom