Stock Tire Carrier Questions

Dopey84

Has anyone ran or is running these wheels on there stock carrier...? My tire dealer is saying I need an extension for my carrier idk if it has to do with the back spacing or what any info would be helpful IMG_0802.jpg

Dopey

Robertcrav

Wheel brand shouldn't have anything to do with it. It's backspace and tire width, if the overall backspace/tire is too deep to allow the lugs to pass thru the wheel and secure it, then yes you will need a spacer/adapter

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Dopey84

I will be removing my spidertrax wheel spacers has anyone used them as a spacer on the stock carrier

Dopey

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
From their website, it looks like they have 4.5" & 5" back spacing. You'll need 4.5". You can run it on the stock carrier, but you'll have to modify your isolators and maybe support the bottom of the tire.

IMG_8266.jpg

I've also seen someone here, maybe OverlanderJK, turn a drop hitch upside down to support the tire.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Dopey84

And I was thinking I only needed to modify the isolator and I run bumperless and have seen the drop hitch flip I'd have to get one if I go that route

Dopey

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Fuel anza wheels on stock carrier

And I was thinking I only needed to modify the isolator and I run bumperless and have seen the drop hitch flip I'd have to get one if I go that route

Dopey

Check this thread out. USMCWrangler did the drop hitch thing, and it also has isolator ideas. On my last Jeep, I modified the isolators, but the tailgate still rattled with 4.5" backspace. The one I have now is secure, but the wheels are 4.75" bs, and the tire still sits in the cup of the factory rear bumper.

IMG_8267.JPG

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?23516-35-on-stock-tire-carrier

Last edited:

Dopey84

I should note I am already running 35 12.50 18s with no issues.. I'm sticking with the same tire size jus on the 17"wheels so I think backspace is possibly the only issue

Dopey

fusion_jeff

I run those exact rims with BFG KM2 35x12.5x17 tires. They fix perfectly on the stock carrier. They actually sit over an inch further away from the tailgate.... However if you do any kind of wheeling, I would HIGHLY recommend upgrading the hinge assembly (like a Teraflex / Smittybilt unit) or get a better tire carrier. I ran mine on the stock carrier for a few weeks and it already started to tweak the tailgate. Any kind of hard bumps off-road and I would be quite possibly looking at some expensive damage.

IMG_0883.jpg

I run those exact rims with BFG KM2 35x12.5x17 tires. They fix perfectly on the stock carrier. They actually sit over an inch further away from the tailgate.... However if you do any kind of wheeling, I would HIGHLY recommend upgrading the hinge assembly (like a Teraflex / Smittybilt unit) or get a better tire carrier. I ran mine on the stock carrier for a few weeks and it already started to tweak the tailgate. Any kind of hard bumps off-road and I would be quite possibly looking at some expensive damage.

View attachment 243911

Extend your Isolators and possibly support the bottom of the tire as well. Problem solved.

madstiles

My jeep came with 35s no extra support was added and it rattles like crazy also the spot welds inside the door about half are popped I'm most likely going to have to replace the gate if I can't re weld it listen to the advice here I'm sure that it's cheaper than my situation

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Dopey84

For those running a 17" wheel with 4.5 backspace and a 35 12.5 17 tire... on a stock tire carrier how did you install it ...? Did you by an adapter or just extended the isolator... ? Let's see your setup/solutions to run this with the stock carrier

Dopey

Last edited by a moderator:

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
I used 1.5" PVC pipe with a cap jammed into the stock isolators. I can get photos in a little. A 5' section and two caps were about $4 from Lowes.

Dopey84

I used 1.5" PVC pipe with a cap jammed into the stock isolators. I can get photos in a little. A 5' section and two caps were about $4 from Lowes.

That would be great to see the pics and that is with 4.5 back spacing...?

Dopey

Dopey84

I used two tennis balls at first but I could stand seeing the neon yellow every time I walked up to the Jeep.

None and its been two years since I hung the 35 on there.

Have you noticed any sagging or wear on your carrier or tailgate?

Dopey

Top Bottom