Warn VR8/10-S ????

berick1

Anyone out there have any thoughts on the new Warn VR series of winches? They appear to have the look of the Zeon with a price point closer to the old VR series. It appears also that some of the parts are Chinese, where as the M series or Zeon are all American. Is there going to be a noticeable difference in performance, or is it more durability / longevity? Thanks for any advice!

Brett

tgoss

I have the 10S. I really like it a lot. Got it for a steal, works great, I'm very happy with it.

USMC Wrangler

I was considering the Gen II VR Series until getting a great deal on a Zeon. Here is a response I got from Warn about the Gen II VR's...

"Warranty statements can be found here: https://www.warn.com/corporate/truck_warranty_statements.jsp

It's a Limited lifetime warranty on mechanical and seven years electrical.

The VR is made in China, but isn't just a "me too" winch. It's made to our specs, our quality control, in a factory that only builds winches for Warn -- not like so many other winches made overseas."

The Warn M8000 is also another popular, cost saving option I've heard great things about.

Overall "build thread"
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?26097-I-guess-it-s-the-quot-Super-Stocker-quot-build

DIY trail/tube door build http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?24449-My-DIY-Doors

WJCO

Meme King
I have the Zeon 8 and have used it a ton. Been flawless. The wife has the 10 but we haven't used it, but I assume it will work fine based on how well the 8 has done. Haven't used the VR series.

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Anyone out there have any thoughts on the new Warn VR series of winches? They appear to have the look of the Zeon with a price point closer to the old VR series. It appears also that some of the parts are Chinese, where as the M series or Zeon are all American. Is there going to be a noticeable difference in performance, or is it more durability / longevity? Thanks for any advice!

Brett

All good questions! It all boils down to what type of chances do you take, how much are you really going to use it and more importantly, how big is your budget? If you go wheeling more than a few times a year and have the cash then go for the Zeon. If you go just a few times a year and don't mind spending a bit more, go for the M series. I go a couple of times a year and recently bought a left over VR8000. I would rather have the entry level Warn over any other make and it's also a proven design that has been around for years.

I could be completely wrong on this, but I did read somewhere that the new VR's were completely made and assembled in China vs. the old VR's had the parts made in China, but assembled, inspected and tested in Oregon. Facts are that the new VR has a better warranty and some of the design changes seem to make it more robust. Hope that helps.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Had I know that they had parts made in China I wouldn't have gotten one. But, a first gen VR8000 is sitting on the front of my JK and hasn't failed the whopping 4 times I've used it over the four years I've had it.

It did over heat the last time I used it because I was pulling a JKU that was stuck centerline on its axles but after ten minutes it was good to go again.

Personally I think that winches are something that shouldn't be skimped on and if I could do it again I'd have a M8000 or Zeon instead.

berick1

All good questions! It all boils down to what type of chances do you take, how much are you really going to use it and more importantly, how big is your budget? If you go wheeling more than a few times a year and have the cash then go for the Zeon. If you go just a few times a year and don't mind spending a bit more, go for the M series. I go a couple of times a year and recently bought a left over VR8000. I would rather have the entry level Warn over any other make and it's also a proven design that has been around for years.

I could be completely wrong on this, but I did read somewhere that the new VR's were completely made and assembled in China vs. the old VR's had the parts made in China, but assembled, inspected and tested in Oregon. Facts are that the new VR has a better warranty and some of the design changes seem to make it more robust. Hope that helps.

I'm more in the use it a few times a year with a not so large budget category. The warranty does seem to be pretty comparatively. Thanks.

berick1

Had I know that they had parts made in China I wouldn't have gotten one. But, a first gen VR8000 is sitting on the front of my JK and hasn't failed the whopping 4 times I've used it over the four years I've had it.

It did over heat the last time I used it because I was pulling a JKU that was stuck centerline on its axles but after ten minutes it was good to go again.

Personally I think that winches are something that shouldn't be skimped on and if I could do it again I'd have a M8000 or Zeon instead.

The China issue was the main one sticking in my mind. I agree that recovery equipment should not be skimped on and that's what brought me to Warn vs say Smittybuilt or something similar.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I think the new vr series is something to consider with the new warranty and the fact that it's at least inspected by warn and to their standards even tho it does use some Chinese parts. It's a good price point for sure.

That being said I would still look at the M line of warn since that is all USA made and assembled. I know it's what I will be looking at once my Quadratec winch takes a shit which I know it will

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Of all the China made winches out there, the VR series is the only one I would consider if only because I have seen them in person and had been assured it was made well by someone I know personally at WARN. That being said, I personally would look at getting an M8000 over a VR and mainly because they are made in the USA.

berick1

That being said I would still look at the M line of warn since that is all USA made and assembled. I know it's what I will be looking at once my Quadratec winch takes a shit which I know it will

Of all the China made winches out there, the VR series is the only one I would consider if only because I have seen them in person and had been assured it was made well by someone I know personally at WARN. That being said, I personally would look at getting an M8000 over a VR and mainly because they are made in the USA.

Thank you both for the input. I was originally considering the M8000-S with the hopes of doing a 'hidden' install in an AEV front bumper. When I saw the new VR at that price point it certainly peaked my interest. Looks like I have a decision to make!

-Brett

Top Bottom