Internal vs External Bypass

Testlab

Hi everyone,

I'm guessing I met a few of you at King of the Hammers racing last week, we were the only people "dumb" enough to race a Range Rover there, so hi again if I met you and don't remember anyone. Our previous runs at the Hammers were a bit more of a success, this year we had a critical mechanical right in the beginning and didn't finish. But I digress...

From all the tuning we did with King while we were there, one thing became clear: We needed SOMETHING to prevent bottoming a bit in the desert. Since we're in "stock" class, we can't do anything much about it other than the last two inches of travel, but my JK can have anti-bottom benefits and since I'm building mine up right now, I figured I'd ask here.

My JK will likely end up being in stock class at KOH sometime, so I don't want coilovers or hydro/air bumps, as I'll end up having to cut all that off to comply with the stock class rules. For the time being though, I can do bypass without doing any welding/cutting and go back to conventional shocks once it is Hammertime. That brings me to my question: Internal or external?

I'm well versed in suspension (I design test equipment for a bike suspension company) so I understand all the theory behind it, and the adjustments. However, I can't see the internal bypass shocks flowing nearly as much or having the valving control as the external ones (with regard to the Fox method anyway). Obviously the 3 tube bypasses let me have an additional point of positional control, which could be nice for a Jeep that is street/desert/trail for now. Downside is that they sure "look expensive" and parking it on the street may end up with a little too much attention with the tube bypasses.

Does anyone have experience with both? Either Fox or King. King's IBP is a bit different with a dual piston setup, but similar end result.

17 JKUR on 4 inch Evo plush springs, on Currie/Evo arms.

Any insight appreciated!

Robertcrav

Interesting discussion...I think the external would be much easier to tune/tweak as they can be done installed... might want to talk to Savvy as they say they really like the Radflo external bypass/resi shocks and are known to be good at tuning/valving. They also previously ran Sway Away/Walker Evans and I believe Bilstein 9100s

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Testlab

Nope, but as I said, I can simply pull these and sell them vs cutting off coilover and/or bump stop brackets. For the time before it becomes a KOH rig, I'd like to take advantage of the benefits of bypass.

Basscat

Hi everyone,

I'm guessing I met a few of you at King of the Hammers racing last week, we were the only people "dumb" enough to race a Range Rover there, so hi again if I met you and don't remember anyone. Our previous runs at the Hammers were a bit more of a success, this year we had a critical mechanical right in the beginning and didn't finish. But I digress...

From all the tuning we did with King while we were there, one thing became clear: We needed SOMETHING to prevent bottoming a bit in the desert. Since we're in "stock" class, we can't do anything much about it other than the last two inches of travel, but my JK can have anti-bottom benefits and since I'm building mine up right now, I figured I'd ask here.

My JK will likely end up being in stock class at KOH sometime, so I don't want coilovers or hydro/air bumps, as I'll end up having to cut all that off to comply with the stock class rules. For the time being though, I can do bypass without doing any welding/cutting and go back to conventional shocks once it is Hammertime. That brings me to my question: Internal or external?

I'm well versed in suspension (I design test equipment for a bike suspension company) so I understand all the theory behind it, and the adjustments. However, I can't see the internal bypass shocks flowing nearly as much or having the valving control as the external ones (with regard to the Fox method anyway). Obviously the 3 tube bypasses let me have an additional point of positional control, which could be nice for a Jeep that is street/desert/trail for now. Downside is that they sure "look expensive" and parking it on the street may end up with a little too much attention with the tube bypasses.

Does anyone have experience with both? Either Fox or King. King's IBP is a bit different with a dual piston setup, but similar end result.

17 JKUR on 4 inch Evo plush springs, on Currie/Evo arms.

Any insight appreciated!

What about Fox 2.5 Factory Series internal bypass with DSC and some kind of multi rate or constant rate coil?

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Testlab

What about Fox 2.5 Factory Series internal bypass with DSC and some kind of multi rate or constant rate coil?

Yep, that's one of the setups I'm looking at, I just want to hear something about the tube bypasses. From looking at the ports in cutaways, it seems the Fox internal bypasses don't flow very much. I could be wrong though, which is why this forum is so helpful :thumb:

Basscat

Yep, that's one of the setups I'm looking at, I just want to hear something about the tube bypasses. From looking at the ports in cutaways, it seems the Fox internal bypasses don't flow very much. I could be wrong though, which is why this forum is so helpful :thumb:

I doubt the new Falcon shock from Teraflex would hold up even in stock class but it does flow a lot more due to it's design. They're supposed to be available this spring? Maybe it's tougher than it looks?

Top Bottom