Extra Ding when starting my JK

dotnetrob

This started yesterday while I was driving home from work. A few miles from home I got a single ding from the dash, no error lights, everything seams to be working. Now everytime I start my jeep, about 5 to 10 seconds after I start my jeep, I get a single ding, again no error lights, no messages.

Haven't changed anything on the jeep except in December I upgraded to 35's, reprogrammed with AEV for wheel size, and changed tire pressure sensor settings.

Any ideas?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Well, back in the day, a mystery ding would have meant your transmission was too hot but I don't think that's your problem. Have you tried doing a scan to see if you're getting a P code? If you don't have a reader, you should be able to get your odometer to give you a code by turning your key to the on position 3 times.

dotnetrob

Well, back in the day, a mystery ding would have meant your transmission was too hot but I don't think that's your problem. Have you tried doing a scan to see if you're getting a P code? If you don't have a reader, you should be able to get your odometer to give you a code by turning your key to the on position 3 times.

Don't have a code reader, so would need to take it to a shop to get the code. Was going to trying to figure it out or at least narrow it down before I get a shop involved.

Back when I had TPMS in my stock tires, it would ding when I started up and flash the low-tire pressure light for a couple seconds when it was cold. This could be your problem assuming that Missouri is about as cold as Iowa most of the time.

dotnetrob

Look at you dash next time you start the Jeep, might just be the oil change indicator.

If its the oil change indicator does it show a message or a light? Don't know if I have ever seen it. Did start changing my own oil the last 2 oil changes, but have been doing the reset/gas pedal after I do them. May I did it wrong?

bigcale

Caught the Bug
If its the oil change indicator does it show a message or a light? Don't know if I have ever seen it. Did start changing my own oil the last 2 oil changes, but have been doing the reset/gas pedal after I do them. May I did it wrong?

It shows a message for a few seconds then goes away.

19355492908_2e7c98e1c0_o.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Don't have a code reader, so would need to take it to a shop to get the code. Was going to trying to figure it out or at least narrow it down before I get a shop involved.

To check your Jeep JK Wrangler’s DTC codes, simply insert your key into the ignition, turn it to the ‘ON’ position but do not start the engine. Then, push the key into the ignition cylinder and while holding it in, turn it to the ‘OFF’ position and then back to the ‘ON’ position (3) times straight making sure to end with it in the ‘ON’ position. It is important to keep pushing in on the key to prevent it from catching at the different positions along the way.

After doing this, all your dash lights will illuminate and your odometer will show up as a series of (6) dashes as shown in the pic to the left. If your Jeep JK Wrangler has any logged in any DTC’s, they will be displayed soon after the dashes appear. Write down the DTC(s) and check it/them against the list below to find out what they mean.

dotnetrob

To check your Jeep JK Wrangler’s DTC codes, simply insert your key into the ignition, turn it to the ‘ON’ position but do not start the engine. Then, push the key into the ignition cylinder and while holding it in, turn it to the ‘OFF’ position and then back to the ‘ON’ position (3) times straight making sure to end with it in the ‘ON’ position. It is important to keep pushing in on the key to prevent it from catching at the different positions along the way.

After doing this, all your dash lights will illuminate and your odometer will show up as a series of (6) dashes as shown in the pic to the left. If your Jeep JK Wrangler has any logged in any DTC’s, they will be displayed soon after the dashes appear. Write down the DTC(s) and check it/them against the list below to find out what they mean.

Wow, I am horrible with getting the p code using the ignition switch method, read about it on http://www.quadratec.com/node/111757 , I tried it 6 times and can't get it to give me a code. Will try again later.

dotnetrob

Finally got the p code from the ignition trick, unfortunately it was all dashes ------ , so no error code. I then realized I did have a code reader that I bought when working on my wifes ford pos. Plugged in the reader and got no error codes...:thinking:

still getting the beep...

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
Finally got the p code from the ignition trick, unfortunately it was all dashes ------ , so no error code. I then realized I did have a code reader that I bought when working on my wifes ford pos. Plugged in the reader and got no error codes...:thinking:

still getting the beep...
That means you dont have any powertrain codes, ie P codes. You could still have abs or body control codes. They don't show up on the ignition trick or most scanners. Only high end readers (snapon, matco, etc) or the dealer starscan can read those. But they typically light up a warning light.

Sent from my SM-G900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
the scanner i used was a "Autel MaxiScan MS300 CAN Diagnostic Scan Tool for OBD", a very cheap reader
When I had my abs codes I tried several readers and all showed nada. I ran to my buddies shop and plugged in his snap on, it read everything. I had a bunch of codes for stupid crap I didn't even know about. If u want to rule it out swing by a shop and see what they'd charge to read it. Don't go to dealer, they are rediculous. Many mom and pop shops have the good readers, it's almost a necessity to work on modern vehicles.

Sent from my SM-G900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

dotnetrob

I think it's the oil change ding I had a few weeks back

I am leaning towards that as well, since I am apparently horrible at doing the following instructions to get the p code with the ignition trick. I would imagine I screwed up the reset the oil steps. I may try to do the oil reset again to see if the ding goes away.

If not, will check with my local jeep shops to see if they can check for errors.

dotnetrob

Fixed

It apparently was the oil change indicator ding... Had no message or warning lights thou.

This morning confirmed the ding stil existed.

Did the reset oil steps.

Started Jeep - No more ding... :rock:

Horrible design on Jeeps part, extra ding with no info. :naw:

Top Bottom