Steering Flighty after 35 inch Ridge Grapplers, spidertrax and TF leveling kit

Jaysr007

First time post, searched to see if anyone else had this issue but couldn't find anything, here goes.
2012 JKU Call of Duty (Rubicon) was totally stock and ran straight no wandering, no flighty steering, perfect.

Needed new tires after 50K miles and went with 35 Nitto ridge grapplers, with spidertrax 1.5 spacers and a TF leveling kit on stock rims. Looks nice, but once I hit 50MPH it starts tracking to groves in road and on smooth roads I have to work to keep the Jeep in the lane. Feels flighty and the faster I go the harder it is to keep the Jeep straight.

Took it back and the shop is recommending ball joints, now like I said before tires, etc, she ran straight as a pin 80MPH on highway no issue, no wandering. Not sure if this is a correct assessment.

I run stock rims on 35inch Nitto Ridge, with the spacers and TF leveling kit, any ideas as to what the issue could be? Ball Joints I'm not convinced that's the issue...but not sure...

Thanks for any input, to add this weekend going to put on AEV Salta's and remove the spacers, we'll see if that does anything....

the_debtenator

The wider track is pulling you into the ruts in the road and your Jeep is wanting to pull back and forth out of the ruts, plus your caster is now off from the 2" lift without new adjustable control arms. Both of those factors don't help road manners

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Jaysr007

The wider track is pulling you into the ruts in the road and your Jeep is wanting to pull back and forth out of the ruts, plus your caster is now off from the 2" lift without new adjustable control arms. Both of those factors don't help road manners

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Thanks, I mentioned the caster to the tech and he insisted it was the ball joints, when I go back I will have it measured in front of me and see if it needs adjustment. if so I'll install the adjustable control arms. I'm also thinking going from stock rims to the AEV may help in terms of proper backspacing and I believe the AEV rim is wider (1.5in) than stock which may help some....

WJCO

Meme King

Ddays

Hooked
Are you sure the BJ's aren't bad? The wider tires could be magnifying that fact where it wasn't noticable with the smaller tires

Jaysr007

Check the ball joints yourself to confirm, but yes bad ball joints with now heavier tires could cause some issues. I'm guessing it's your caster though.

Check ball joints by jacking one wheel off of the ground about an inch. Use a large 2x4 or shovel to pry up on the tire and check for movement at the ball joints. Repeat on the other side.

Check your caster with this link:

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?3861-Basic-Do-it-Yourself-Jeep-JK-Wrangler-Front-End-Alignment

Will do, I also noticed that now when I hit a bump, it almost sounds like the jeep bottoms out and from the info you guys sent, if the castor is off then when you hit a bump the vibration is tranfered up differently, negative castor looks like the bump travels to the frame instead of the coil/springs.

Going to swap out the rims, remove the spacers and check the BJ's, control arms and castor angle, will report back this weekend with the outcome.

Thanks to all appreciate the information! Beers all around!

WJCO

Meme King
Will do, I also noticed that now when I hit a bump, it almost sounds like the jeep bottoms out and from the info you guys sent, if the castor is off then when you hit a bump the vibration is transferred up differently, negative castor looks like the bump travels to the frame instead of the coil/springs.

I'm not so sure that noise your hearing would be related to the caster. I've never seen those symptoms go with a caster problem. Either way, let us know what you find.

SilverBack

The leveling kit (1.5 to 2in) isn't going to mess with your caster enough to make the change you mentioned. I have a leveling kit and am running the Ridge Grapplers that are only .3 inches shorter and 7/8in narrower on stock rubi wheels with 1.5 in spidertrax and mine rides like it is on rails. Smooth and handles amazing. As mentioned check the ball joints and also check to make sure the spacers are installed correctly. Little rings clipped off, torqued correctly, etc. check the torque on the rest of the steering gear and suspension.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

jesse3638

Hooked
What air pressure are you running? Anything over 30-32 will be too much on 35's and can cause the Jeep to experience the same thing. Our local tire shops here seem to think they need to fill them up to what is stamped on the sidewall or listed in the doorjam. I'm running 35x12.50 BFG KM2's and 27 PSI is perfect.

Draconianwinter

I run evo 2 inch plush ride springs with a 1.75 spacer pick on the rear of my 2dr on stock wheels and 35 inch maxxis razr mt's without any problems.

sent from your basement

10abadilla/jk

I have this issue as well but have a 2-3in lift. Psi makes a big difference. I have already replaced the ball joints and unit bearings. My caster is set close. But I do not believe it is where it's supposed to be. I would definitely check the psi. I went from 30psi down to 26 and even with my caster off it rides a lot better then it did at 30psi.

Sent from my LG-H900 using WAYALIFE mobile app

deezus

I haven't read whole thread, but go to an alignment shop and get your toe set. That's the only thing they can do anway. Caster is important to...but normal alignment shops don't know how to set that on lifted/modded jeeps.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
I haven't read whole thread, but go to an alignment shop and get your toe set. That's the only thing they can do anway. Caster is important to...but normal alignment shops don't know how to set that on lifted/modded jeeps.

You can set your toe at home for free.

Ddays

Hooked

Even better, you can do your own alignment using these handy instructions Eddie made up: http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?3861-Basic-Do-it-Yourself-Jeep-JK-Wrangler-Front-End-Alignment

If anything he can at least check his measurements to see where he's at.

deezus

Jaysr007

What air pressure are you running? Anything over 30-32 will be too much on 35's and can cause the Jeep to experience the same thing. Our local tire shops here seem to think they need to fill them up to what is stamped on the sidewall or listed in the doorjam. I'm running 35x12.50 BFG KM2's and 27 PSI is perfect.
I dropped it down to 29 from 35 it helped a little but it's still there will go down to 27 to see what affect it has, thanks

Sent from my SM-G935T using WAYALIFE mobile app

madstiles

I had same issue different set up replaced everything in front end last thing I changed was ball joints and it fixed it. The factory ball joints are plastic the bigger tires with the weight of them probably Amplified the issues you already had I would listen to the shop you can check them at home as shown above don't go with Factory ball joints they suck

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Jaysr007

I had same issue different set up replaced everything in front end last thing I changed was ball joints and it fixed it. The factory ball joints are plastic the bigger tires with the weight of them probably Amplified the issues you already had I would listen to the shop you can check them at home as shown above don't go with Factory ball joints they suck

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using WAYALIFE mobile app
thanks will add this to the list, just the quote I got for replacing with dynatrac BJ's was about a grand mostly labor and from what I've seen that job is probably too much for me to do. and yup he said the same thing the factory are plastic and with 50k on it may be time, appreciate the feedback

Sent from my SM-G935T using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom