Check your plug wire posts... Engine Pinging knocking or dieseling discovery

Siebermd

So I have been looking and searching etc etc. on how to eliminate the dreaded dieseling noise my engine has been producing. Ive added cleaners, different gas, octanes etc. No result. So I am on to the next step, replace plugs and wires. This is where I make the discovery. As I am going through removing my old plugs I notice that the #1 cylinder plug gap is way off (far too much gap) and looks a bit more worn then the others. The rest looked like they really weren't in dire need of changing. So I investigate a little farther checking the post on the Distribution box. Sure enough, the post is fully corroded over. Either the original installer neglected to put dielectric grease on this one post (plugs and wires were OEM). Or more likely, at some point water got into this area and caused the issue. Long story short, cleaned it up, plugs and wires changed, knocking / dieseling / pinging gone. What a relief. Sorry I didn't get pictures, I wasn't expecting this job to be out of the ordinary. I thought about it right after I cleaned the corrosion off.

Top Bottom