Fox/King shocks???

Jersey_Devil

OK so I can't justify spending $5k on coilovers, so I decided I'm going with the dual res shocks.... I know both fox and king are great brands and haven't decided which brand I want but I'm leaning towards the Fox..... What is ur experience with these shocks? Got any pics? What are some of the prices u all paid? What size lift and tires are u running with those shocks?

Thanks in advance for any information!

King all the way. Never owned a set, but everything I've read Leeds me to them. Fox is good. But they have their hands in several things.

King only builds shocks. More R and D.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Fox makes great shocks but you get what you pay for with a set of Kings. They've spent a lot of time and R&D with Off Road Evolution designing valving specifically for the JK. You're looking at about $960 for a set of standard King shocks and $1300 for reservoirs.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Fox makes great shocks but you get what you pay for with a set of Kings. They've spent a lot of time and R&D with Off Road Evolution designing valving specifically for the JK. You're looking at about $960 for a set of standard King shocks and $1300 for reservoirs.

Having said that, unless you're starting to drive hard and fast in the desert, I'm not sure why you would need anything so high end. On the rocks, just about any good monotube shock will do the job. If you're unhappy with your ride quality, you might want to look at the springs you're running.

MTG

Caught the Bug
I run King 2.5" resi shocks and love them! I find I can run faster offroad and longer than friends with monotube shocks. But candidly, beyond that they are probably overkill except they do have a thicker diameter shaft and would be stronger. The King 2.0 would be my next choice.

These are the only pics I have on my phone.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1359472465.341206.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1359472480.321183.jpg

I haven't ran fox shocks so I have no opinion. However, I'd be surprised if the r&d, performance and customer service of King can be beat.

I found this comparison a while ago.

http://www.offroad-engineering.com/foxvsking.html

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I run King 2.5" resi shocks and love them! I find I can run faster offroad and longer than friends with monotube shocks. But candidly, beyond that they are probably overkill except they do have a thicker diameter shaft and would be stronger. The King 2.0 would be my next choice.

I haven't ran fox shocks so I have no opinion. However, I'd be surprised if the r&d, performance and customer service of King can be beat.

I found this comparison a while ago.

http://www.offroad-engineering.com/foxvsking.html

That's a good comparison article :thumb:

Jersey_Devil

Well I want them cause 1. They look cool 2. Sometimes I like to speed down these rutted up dirt roads and I don't wanna blow out any shocks doing it... Plus they look cool.... And will I have to look into a specific series of kings since I'm running a 4" lift?

LoPo

Caught the Bug
Well I want them cause 1. They look cool 2. Sometimes I like to speed down these rutted up dirt roads and I don't wanna blow out any shocks doing it... Plus they look cool.... And will I have to look into a specific series of kings since I'm running a 4" lift?

Just select your lift height in the drop down:

With Compression Adjusters
http://www.offroadevolution.com/store/proddetail.php?prod=King_KIT_WC

Without Compression Adjusters
http://www.offroadevolution.com/store/proddetail.php?prod=King_KIT

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

:cheesy: Looking cool is aways a good reason :thumb:

Hatewagon

Im running fox 2.0s. Love em. I kept blowing regular shocks every 3 months. I live on a dirt road and wheel every weekend so i think the abuse was too much. Ive had my foxs for about 8 months now and going strong. I have no experience with Kings but i would take either one. Coil overs are on the list for next year.

rinkishjk

:cheesy: Looking cool is aways a good reason :thumb:

I was thinking the same.
U will want a shock for a 4"-6" lift.
I recently installed my fox 2.0 shocks and they are way better feeling to me than ome lt shocks I removed. I'm very happy with them. I could not see buying res shocks since there is no desert in nj and my wheeling is on the rocks.

SoCalDozer

I really love the Kings and they are what I want to get but also Fox is releasing there new Internal Bypass shock that is used on the Raptor for the JK.
I talked to Fox about it and they are being released in march.
Might be something worth waiting for.

MTG

Caught the Bug

They do look cool! They will perform great on rutted up dirt road. But as WOL suggested, if it's your ride you are unhappy with, you may want to look at new springs. :thumb:

MTG

Caught the Bug
Sweet! Thank you! But other than the price what is the difference between the two? Do the adjusters do that much?

The compression adjusters allow you to do just that...adjust the compression. You can make them softer or firmer by clicking the knobs (that doesn't sound right). I wasn't sure how often I would mess with them, so I only purchased the adjustable rear so I can firm it up when I load up the back of the jeep with gear. I believe you can always add it at a later date.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I really love the Kings and they are what I want to get but also Fox is releasing there new Internal Bypass shock that is used on the Raptor for the JK.
I talked to Fox about it and they are being released in march.
Might be something worth waiting for.

I'm pretty sure that King has IBP shocks already. At least, they released them back at the 2011 SEMA show...

main.php

main.php

main.php

SoCalDozer

I'm pretty sure that King has IBP shocks already. At least, they released them back at the 2011 SEMA show...

main.php

main.php

main.php

Yeah I knew king has some as well but they are a universal shock I believe. the fox ones are like the King bolt in JK shocks and have the stem up front so you can get that extra inch or so that you would lose with stem adapters.
Guess we will know more info once they are released and see if they are reasonably priced.

mgmavant

So what is the real advantage of the remote reservoirs? Is the advantage only when cycling the shock rapidly, or are there some other benefits for having the larger reservoir? If all you're doing is rock crawling with maybe some minor dirt road riding between, are the remote ress a bit of overkill? I'm also looking to upgrade my coils/shocks so that I get a lot more travel for crawling and was wondering what the best way to go - within my budget. It looks like you could get the Fox shocks with remote reservoirs for about $750, the Kings w/o reservoirs for about $950 and the Kings with remote reservoirs for about $1300. At $950, the Kings are still pretty much up there, but, as was mentioned before, you do get what you pay for - I'm just trying to understand what that is.

Top Bottom