CLEAN FREAKS : What do You Use to Blacken Your Fenders?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As much as I love my factory fenders, there is one thing that I absolutely hate about them and that's how crappy they can look after getting some mud on them. The mud has a way of getting into the texture or the pores of the fenders and that leaves behind a stain that can be near impossible to remove even with a good power washer. While scrubbing at them with soapy water and a brush will get them looking clean again, it takes a crazy amount of work and it'll only take one wheeling trip to ruin them again. Because of this, Cindy and I have resorted to using cleaning products to help us get our fenders looking clean and black again and with as little effort as possible. Over the years, we have used a host of different products and the following is a test that we just did using a small sampling of a few that we just happened to have in our cleaning cabinet. I hope the results of our test is useful to you and if there's something you use and find to work well, we'd love to hear all about it. :yup:

From left to right, we used the following products for our test. Our tried and true ArmorAll in both wipes and spray, Mother's Back-to-Black and last but not least, 303 Aerospace Protectant.
20170219182658-471cc02c.jpg

Here's a shot of our very mud stained rear fender after applying a single application of each product. As you can see, the ArmorAll did a pretty good job but you can still see a few spots left behind. The Mother's Back-to-Black barely made a difference and still looked very blotchy. Without question the 303 Aerospace Protectant did the best to clean and blacken things up and in just one application.
20170219182656-46b3753e.jpg

Here's a close up shot of the ArmorAll test.
20170219182702-5b0e1be7.jpg

This is a close up of the Mother's Back-to-Black test.
20170219182704-6cf68201.jpg

And finally, here is a close up of the 303 Aerospace Protectant.
20170219182654-0e0462d8.jpg

With that said, a second application of ArmorAll provided a similar result to the 303 Aerospace Protectant but the Mother's Back-to-Black did a whole lot of nothing. I should also note that after about an hour in the sun, the single application of 303 lightened up a bit where as the 2 coats of ArmorAll did not. I'm sure if we applied a 2nd coat of 303, it may have held up the same but being that it's more expensive and kind of hard to come by, we typically just use ArmorAll.

Here's a side by shot of another mud stained fender with one side untreated and the other ArmorAll'ed.
20170219182759-95455269.jpg

And finally, here it is all cleaned up and blackened again.
20170219182751-eac0dc66.jpg

So, that's what we've seen using these 3 products to clean our mud stained factory fenders, what do you use? We'd love to know :cool:

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
That's good to know. I'd never applied more than one coat of Armorall, and so far have preferred 303. As you mentioned, 303 is expensive and not as readily available. I may have to revisit Armorall, when it's time to buy again. Great thread!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Wow that's really good to know! I recently have been using the mothers back to black cleaner and restore but had to do multiple coats of both to get the color back.
IMG_6777.jpg
Before and after shot
IMG_6775.jpg

IMG_7306.jpg
IMG_7415.jpg

MTG

Caught the Bug
Hmmm. Interesting. Mothers has worked great for me. But you do have to put it on pretty heavy. I like 303 on all the EVO armor I have.

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Good information! I have been looking for the 303 since Napalm swears by it, but haven't found it locally yet. It hasn't been a priority since I have used Armor All and have achieved satisfactory results on the front / rear bumpers and side steps. My fenders are painted! [emoji41]

GregMort13

Caught the Bug

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
I use the Mothers Back-to-Black as well. I have to use two or three coats on the 07 fender to get it to match the other original 3 on my JK. I only use one coat on the other 3. Now I'm going to keep my eye out for the 303 and try that next.

gheller

I have been using 303, just applied it to my fenders and mirrors this afternoon since the weather was nice and I was out cleaning the windows.
Applied it to my entire hardtop as well when I first got the Jeep in October.
It does cost a lot, but it goes a long way I think.

I ordered mine from Amazon. Need to order some more.

I don't know how true this is, but I had heard that armor all is good at restoring but not so much at protecting from fading whereas 303 does protect the plastic from fading due to sun and weather.

Sent from Earth to Space and back...can ya give it a second!? WAYALIFE mobile app

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door

jeeeep

Hooked
my fenders and bumper had faded to the point they were greyish-white.

I had tried back to black, armor all, 303 but they didn't last long.

I ended up using Eastwood's Plastic Resurfacer after seeing it reviewed at SEMA 2014, it's been about 3 yrs everything still looks black.

You do need to remove the fenders and prep them properly but it was worth it.

I spilled gas on the fender within 2 weeks and it will affect the surface as it's not fuel resistant. I need to check the area where the gas spilled but I think it's no longer visible and is black like the rest of the fender

Before:
fender before.jpg

After - pic not so good, it's zoomed in a bit:
fender after.jpg

Last edited:

g_dubb

My hunting rig is a 97 TJ. I use the hell out of it but I also want it to look nice. I hated that the fenders would never stay black. I would armorall the finders every time I washed it. I didn't like how oily armorall left the finders. So I research a more permanent fix. I found that a heat gun will turn the plastic black agin. It's been over a year and they are still black. IMG_0708.jpg IMG_0709.jpg

Napalm

Good information! I have been looking for the 303 since Napalm swears by it, but haven't found it locally yet. It hasn't been a priority since I have used Armor All and have achieved satisfactory results on the front / rear bumpers and side steps. My fenders are painted! [emoji41]

Amazon. :)

Mark K

I have the old Bestop flares on my 2000 TJ and the finish had deteriorated as most have experienced. Couple weeks ago, I had a neighbor come over and detail the whole vehicle. For most surfaces, inside and out, he used a spray product called Stoners Trim Shine, about $8 at an auto parts store. I asked him to try to resuscitate the flares and he used the Trim Shine while scrubbing with a common blue micro-fiber cloth. Night and day, the flares looked new. We both were impressed how well that stuff worked.

Top Bottom