Brake Booster help

mdowell1990

My 2011 JK 2DR. 6-Speed is hissing from the brake booster so I have a new one on order and have been searching for a write up on how to change it and haven't been able to find anything yet so I apologize if there is one out there but if someone could point me in the direction of one or help me out with how to do this I would greatly appreciate it thanks!

Just extra info on what happened incase anyone else might think its something different and I'm open to those ideas
Left work friday jeep was pulling hard to the right so Saturday I changed the front pads and rotors hoping something had just got stuck and caused the gouging on the rotor I could see. went out today pads still werent releasing from the rotor so I went ahead and changed the caliper. after bleeding all the brakes multiple times still have a spongy pedal when running and not stopping like it should, as i messed with it more and had a buddy press the pedal I could hear the hissing from the brake booster and thats where I'm at now

Last edited:

Judesign

Caught the Bug
The membrane in the booster can fail giving you the hissing sound, as it is getting vacuum from the engine. When it fails it will cause you're pedal to feel stiffer as it is not assisting you pushing on the brake pedal. One thing to check is that your master cylinder is not leaking because brake fluid is a common cause of the membrane in the booster failing. If all is well in your master cylinder then replacing the brake booster is pretty easy. It's held to the firewall by I think three bolts.
Under the drivers dash is a clip on the brake pedal holding the brake booster post to the pedal, release this clip and the brake booster pulls straight out of the engine bay.
Reconnect the new booster to the brake pedal, tighten the bolts holding the booster to the firewall, and then reconnect your master cylinder. Bleed your brakes and you're all done.
Sorry if this was long winded but I've done this on my 08 and it's a pretty easy job.

mdowell1990

No thats not long winded at all, thank you, how can I tell if the master cylinder is leaking into the booster because it was a little low but not extremely low enough to have concerned me. When I started bleeding the brakes is the first time I've ever added brake flud or else i would have been concerened.....this first repair on my jeep is starting to add up quickly, but thats why their called Just Empty Every Pocket

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
One thing to check too is that the pushrod in the new booster matches the length on the old booster. Just make sure they're the same or it can cause your brakes to stay engaged if the new one is too long.

Judesign

Caught the Bug
Well I'm definitely not a mechanic but the master cylinder and the booster are separated by an o-ring. On mine the o-ring and the post of the master cylinder, the one that goes into the brake booster, were both wet with fluid. There is probably a way to diagnose if your master cylinder is bad but that was enough for me to just get a new one since I've got it disconnected already. As far as the spongy-ness of the brakes that can only mean that either your master cylinder is failing and letting in air to the system, or the brake system needs to be bled properly. Once I changed those parts the hissing went away, my brakes were perfect, and my engine ran smoother as there was not a vacuum leak from the failed brake booster.

Top Bottom