2014 JKU ESP / Traction Control "Kill Switch" question

supra_launch21v

Hello all,

It has been a while since I have posted. I have a 2014 JKU. There are write-ups about a 2014 JK ESP kill switch. What is actually happening with the kill switch? What does it actually "kill"?

My question is based solely for off road use.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I totally agree. I got into a strong conversation with another guy on a FB Page. (I don't know why I even bother lol). I was always told that with a 2011+ it is not possible.

Dynatrac gave a detailed explanation about it once and in regards to running a Detroit locker in the rear. You can't permanently turn it off and if you try to run something like a Detroit, you will have ESP/BAS issues that will throw you into limp mode. This happened on Dyantrac's JK and I've seen it happen.

srbell0585

Hello all,

It has been a while since I have posted. I have a 2014 JKU. There are write-ups about a 2014 JK ESP kill switch. What is actually happening with the kill switch? What does it actually "kill"?

It stops the abs, traction control and stability control from working. It does work on 11+ and I find it useful in deep snow to allow wheel spin.

Sent from my SM-N910T using WAYALIFE mobile app

White Russian

I did it to mine it's awesome in the snow. I put the switch right next to the e brake handle so it can't get bumped and most people don't even know its there. IMG_3062.jpg

Frydaddy

Heres What Ive found regarding all the crazy systems in jeeps nowadays.

http://imgur.com/0rpccay

0rpccay.jpg

Preface: Safety Note: Splice this purple wire to a switch, and leave it ON!

All the 2007 to 2017 Jeeps come with a whole slew of new systems to keep you from rolling this top heavy beast. But when Off-roading, some of these systems can be a hindrance.
ABS - Anti-Lock Brake System - Prevents lock-up when braking
BAS - Brake Assist System - limits coasting
ESP - Electronic Stability Program - kills throttle when doing donuts
ERM - Electronic Roll Mitigation - stops you from flipping-it when doing donuts
TCS - Traction Control System - stops wheel-spin when doing donuts

Hitting the TCS OFF button only turns it half-off. It lessens the TCS allowing a little more wheel slip, thats it.

Pressing the TCS OFF button for >7 seconds, only works below 40MPH. It resets when you hit that magic number.

Pulling the BAS fuse helps, but disables ABS, which is actually helpful on the trail

The "dance" is a nice non-invasive option. Follow the links below to try it {Link Redacted, just look it up} . I couldn't get it to work on my 2013 JK.

This is what I did.
There is a sensor under the center console that does a lot of measuring for these fancy new systems. Take out the center console and cut the purple wire with the blue stripe. Splice in a switch, so you can turn these features back on, they ARE VERY USEFUL on the road.
Turn the switch OFF when you hit the trail head, then turn it ON when you are back on pavement. You will have to restart the vehicle for this module to turn back on.

Last edited:

CedarRaider

This was one of the first things I did when I got my 14. Just run wires to a toggle switch so it stays on while on road then you can shut it off when you get to the trails.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

CedarRaider

That's is awesome [emoji122] I love it. I need a new mod anyway. I hope it won't mess anything up.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

It won't mess anything up. All you are doing is putting a switch in the middle of a wire. You hit the switch and it all goes away. Shut the switch off and turn the vehicle off and back on and all the systems come back just like factory.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

5280Sapper

Hello all,

its stupid simple plenty of video write ups.. all it is doing is interrupting the yaw sensor and abs and traction control from functioning. so when its enabled you can't really slide or spin with out it taking power away. it won't hurt anything a resets itself with a key cycle. I could go a lot deeper and technical but thats the barney description. did it on my 16 jku use it when I need to.. did it on my 11 charger so it would actually do a burnout!

Judesign

Caught the Bug
its stupid simple plenty of video write ups.. all it is doing is interrupting the yaw sensor and abs and traction control from functioning. so when its enabled you can't really slide or spin with out it taking power away. it won't hurt anything a resets itself with a key cycle. I could go a lot deeper and technical but thats the barney description. did it on my 16 jku use it when I need to.. did it on my 11 charger so it would actually do a burnout!

Just out of curiosity why won't the pcm go into limp mode if it senses a loss of signal to all of these systems?

5280Sapper

Just out of curiosity why won't the pcm go into limp mode if it senses a loss of signal to all of these systems?

because it interrupts the signal for ABS. ABS is the king of the newer mopar products across the board... when the computer reads that it's turned off it will disengage all associated system. Your vehicle doesn't need ABS to function, and it doesn't go into limp mode because the speeds sensors are still functioning. So when you do this the speedometer still works which is the reason for no limp mode i.e. not messing with the speed sensors. those are the complex little boogers that like to send you into limp mode when they aren't functioning correctly if you broke one.

Frydaddy

because it interrupts the signal for ABS. ABS is the king of the newer mopar products across the board... when the computer reads that it's turned off it will disengage all associated system. Your vehicle doesn't need ABS to function, and it doesn't go into limp mode because the speeds sensors are still functioning. So when you do this the speedometer still works which is the reason for no limp mode i.e. not messing with the speed sensors. those are the complex little boogers that like to send you into limp mode when they aren't functioning correctly if you broke one.

Surely you mean TCS. ABS is the independant system that goes of of individual wheel spin.

Theres ABS, BAS, ESP, ERM,and TCS all working together, overlapping in places too, most (not all) use this Yaw module.

Top Bottom