Headlight flicker 2011 JK

cb2011JKR

I made the mistake of purchasing the IPF H 4 headlight conversion kit and installed the new wiring harness with multiple relay kit and 80 watt h4 IPF fatboy bulbs.

Does my problem start with the CANBUS/CAN link system on new jeeps not sensing the factory lights since it is only toggling a relay contact for the aftermarket headlights. Is there a fix.

I'm happy with the output but getting dizzy from the flickering of the bulbs in low and high beam.

Next time I will get led lights

thanks,
Chad

Krynn

Your problem is entirely with the CANBUS system. Because it's not a steady signal (I forget the frequency, but it's only on about 80% of the time), you're putting your relay through a heck of a workout. The solution to this is to use a capacitor to smooth the pulsing out. I had found this diagram online a few months back that shows what needs to be done:

relaybp2.jpg

Sorry, I don't remember where I dug that up from or else I'd be sure to credit them.

The key points are the capacitor bridging hot to ground (which smooths the pulse out) and the diode on the 12v pwm feed (which protects the computer that's making the pulses). You'll need to do that for both the low and high beam relays.

I ended up purchasing a pre-made wiring harness instead, which turns out to be pretty much same as that diagram - just a whole lot prettier than I would have done myself. :D

Top Bottom