Street Legal In Moab

JKU Arizona

I'm slowly gearing up my Jeep for the EJS in Moab and had a few questions on on Utah street legal requirements . How strict are these rules enforced during EJS. I decided to go with cut fenders and right now i don't have mud flaps. Should i consider installing mud flaps before the trip?

Also half of my tires are sticking past the cut fenders is this going to be an issue?

Is the "stock truck" in the picture NOT legal because it doesn't have mud flaps?

If i need mud flaps is there any recommendation on what to get?

Thanks!

Pages from Easter Jeep Safari 2017 web.jpg

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Utah should be glad people are coming to Utah, and spending money. I'll be rolling through there, this summer, so they can catch me if they can,

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Utah should be glad people are coming to Utah, and spending money. I'll be rolling through there, this summer, so they can catch me if they can,

It's only really bad during EJS. I don't think your Jeep would cause a stir even during then. Really big tires sticking way out past the fenders and no mud flaps will get you pulled over but only during EJS. At least, that's what I've seen.

JKU Arizona

Depends on how big and wide of a tire you're running and on what back spacing. If you're just running 37's or smaller, you shouldn't have any problems.

good to know. Hopefully I'll be on a new set of 37s by then. Wheel back spacing i believe is 4.75.

any recommendations on mud flaps?

Kyle7R

So they even bust people who don't live or register their vehicles there?

If/when we relocate to Colorado, we would want to, or at least thought we did, visit Utah.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using WAYALIFE mobile app

5280Sapper

So they even bust people who don't live or register their vehicles there?

If/when we relocate to Colorado, we would want to, or at least thought we did, visit Utah.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using WAYALIFE mobile app

That would make sense wouldn't it? technically since you aren't a resident of said state and our county jurisdiction it falls under you shouldn't be fined for a law that isn't nationally recognized. Example in the Army I always had Michigan plates no matter where I was stationed.. first time I was in Colorado yeas back and party this was due to ignorance of lady cop.. she tried and attempted to give me a ticket for my truck being to tall! Colorado has a head light law they can't be more the x inches off the ground and that I can't drive an altered vehicle on the road. that has been defended many times even though its technically a law in Colorado its been deleted many times as unjust in court. But in my case I laughed and said it doesn't matter because it doesn't apply to me and I'm not a resident.. she didn't like looking stupid but I walked.... So a state trying enforce a law to nonresidents in unjust and would easily be defeated in court. how many factory trucks like in that picture drive through that state everyday and never receive a ticket?? that would be your defense and victory for profiling!

NecessaryEvil

Caught the Bug
You can not be issued a ticket in regard to vehicle equipment, if it does not apply to your "home state." So the above mentioned is accurate. If your home state does not have a vehicle height requirement and you travel to another state that does, they can not enforce their laws and regulations on you (in regard to height {vehicle equipment}). It is possible an Officer may write you the ticket (they shouldn't) but it would be dropped in court.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeeeep

Hooked
they'll write the ticket and you can fight it, but chances are you'll need to appear in court to fight it. so in the end is it cheaper to just pay it or travel back to fight it

They generally overlook a lot of things except the obvious road hazard items.
If your Jeep is licensed for the road generally you're fine. if it's a tow rig, they are enforcing the trailering to and from the trail and not driven around town

Last edited:
It's funny how they come after the off road community, seeing that we're the only ones who spend the big bucks in Moab and boost the economy.

Because I can guarantee you that the tree hugging bikers and hikers don't spend jack s*it In Moab...

jeeeep

Hooked
It's funny how they come after the off road community, seeing that we're the only ones who spend the big bucks in Moab and boost the economy.

Because I can guarantee you that the tree hugging bikers and hikers don't spend jack s*it In Moab...

it didn't use to be that way but over the last few year more rock buggies have taken to the streets and I think that's really what they're trying to control.

it didn't use to be that way but over the last few year more rock buggies have taken to the streets and I think that's really what they're trying to control.

You're exactly right. I can remember a time though when Moab looked the other way from the state laws. Back when I used to live in Park City I had to run mud flaps but I didn't have to run them at all in Moab.

I guess the tree huggers have gotten to the authorities :naw:

bekel

IMG_1347 (1).jpg IMG_1123 (1).jpg
ive only been there a few times over the years but have had both my jeeps down there and have never had any problems

Top Bottom