2012 JKU BumpStop or Shocks or Springs

Amrth

Hi All - Off late when I have passengers in my rear seat and the jeep goes through a small dip on the tarmac, my rear passenger tire scraps off the body, it basically hit it up! I'vnt faced this issue when we have no passengers on the rear.

I did not observe any shagging in the springs, so am wondering would it be something to do with the shocks or bump stops? Any pointers on how to pin point the faulty part :dont_tell:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
How much lift are you running? What size tires are you running? How long have you been running like that? Are you running bump stop extensions? We need a bit more info

Amrth

How much lift are you running? What size tires are you running? How long have you been running like that? Are you running bump stop extensions? We need a bit more info

4" Lift, 37's, been running for a year now, yes I do have the bump stops.

WJCO

Meme King
4" Lift, 37's, been running for a year now, yes I do have the bump stops.

Did you just recently start traveling this area? Also is the tire hitting on the pinch seem? Maybe need to trim? And what brand of lift?

Amrth

Did you just recently start traveling this area? Also is the tire hitting on the pinch seem? Maybe need to trim? And what brand of lift?

No, I've been travelling the area from quite some time say 8 months or so. Yes the tire is hitting the pinch seem towards the upper portion. I had the sides trimmed, when the lift was on, Rough Country lift.

Okay, are your bumpstop extensions about as tall as you have lift?

I don't believe so, If it remember it is 2.5" extensions.

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
A picture would be good too if the rear undercarriage...so that we can see your set-up and if there are any areas we're the paint is scrapped or rubbed off.

'07 JKUR ... mod'ing never stops...

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I don't believe so, If it remember it is 2.5" extensions.

More than likely, that's your problem. Typically, you need to be running as much bump stop extension as you have lift as this will help to prevent the over compression of your coils. In other words, they help prevent your coil squashing down to the point where they no longer return to their original height and/or spring rate. This is most likely why you are rubbing now where as you weren't before.

Amrth

A picture would be good too if the rear undercarriage...so that we can see your set-up and if there are any areas we're the paint is scrapped or rubbed off.

'07 JKUR ... mod'ing never stops...

Will try and get a picture soon, but since its hitting the seem, there isn't any evidence of the paint getting scrapped. I can observe the cuts on the tire.

Amrth

More than likely, that's your problem. Typically, you need to be running as much bump stop extension as you have lift as this will help to prevent the over compression of your coils. In other words, they help prevent your coil squashing down to the point where they no longer return to their original height and/or spring rate. This is most likely why you are rubbing now where as you weren't before.

Thanks Eddie, I realized this might be it as soon as you asked me that question. Let me work on getting s set of bump stops and see how it goes. Cheers

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Eddie, I realized this might be it as soon as you asked me that question. Let me work on getting s set of bump stops and see how it goes. Cheers

Unfortunately, it's a bit too late for that. Your problem is with your springs now.

Top Bottom