C Gussets install...Wait...What

Brianmly

Finally ready for my Moab trip next week, driving down from Seattle to wheel with my cousins.....Big brake Kit (check)....New tie rod to fix the bent one (check)....TrackBar and Sector Shaft brace, got a good deal and said why not (check)....recenter the rear axle (check).....and finally Gusset the C's yesturday (check).....I get home from picking up my Jeep from the shop, after they welded the gussets on, to take another look at the job they did and something just didn't look right. I texted these pics to my cousins and buddy and they agreed something looked off.

IMG_0858.JPG IMG_0859.JPG

With a 5 sec internet search that we all did at the same time, we all texted back within 5 sec's of each other and said they they are welded Upside down!::eek:

I immediately took it back down to the shop where at first he said that they (the brackets) wouldn't fit in the other way so he did it like that. He tried to tell me that at least they will still be stronger than stock and that he would trim up the bottom edge if I wanted......hmmmmm........at first I agreed to that (He's a family acquaintance, so I didn't want to make thinks awkward, even though this was his screw up)....I then went out to m y Jeep and stewed about it for a few min then I went back in to say I want it done right. I leave next Thursday so he said they would get it in on Monday to fix it. Now a 2 to 3 hour job will now be an all day project.

So should I be concerned about damage to the C's ?..... :doh:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Finally ready for my Moab trip next week, driving down from Seattle to wheel with my cousins.....Big brake Kit (check)....New tie rod to fix the bent one (check)....TrackBar and Sector Shaft brace, got a good deal and said why not (check)....recenter the rear axle (check).....and finally Gusset the C's yesturday (check).....I get home from picking up my Jeep from the shop, after they welded the gussets on, to take another look at the job they did and something just didn't look right. I texted these pics to my cousins and buddy and they agreed something looked off.

View attachment 245651 View attachment 245652

With a 5 sec internet search that we all did at the same time, we all texted back within 5 sec's of each other and said they they are welded Upside down!::eek:

I immediately took it back down to the shop where at first he said that they (the brackets) wouldn't fit in the other way so he did it like that. He tried to tell me that at least they will still be stronger than stock and that he would trim up the bottom edge if I wanted......hmmmmm........at first I agreed to that (He's a family acquaintance, so I didn't want to make thinks awkward, even though this was his screw up)....I then went out to m y Jeep and stewed about it for a few min then I went back in to say I want it done right. I leave next Thursday so he said they would get it in on Monday to fix it. Now a 2 to 3 hour job will now be an all day project.

So should I be concerned about damage to the C's ?..... :doh:

That is not right at all! The gussets are cut a certain way to provide the most support possible. I wouldn't feel right knowing they are on wrong. I would make them take them off and install them the right way for free

zimm

Caught the Bug
They're not backwards, the bottom is on top and vice versa. I'm no fabricator, but I think you would have to cut them off and put new ones on eventually. Just for your trip, you can get the bottoms cut/grinded down so they won't hit on rocks. They look like they're reinforcing the C's more than nothing. Watch the heat going into the C's so the ball joints don't fry.

They should look like this:

View attachment 245655

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
Boy, that blows. I would hope your C's would be ok, never heard of the gussets having to be cut off and re-welded though. That really sucks.

JeepJeep75

Anything metal can be cut off and ground down smooth. However, putting the stock plastic filled ball joints through a second round of welding heat is asking a lot of them. You should get them changed out soon after or during the gusset redo. As far as damaging the C's, I wouldn't worry about it.

Brianmly

I was pondering having them "eat" the install on the ball joints just for that fact. To be honest that is what I'm most worried about.
I have had great luck with this guy in the past, but that was working on my other vehicles..... but I am disappointed that he didn't do a quick Internet search when he saw that they weren't fitting the way that they should......I am glad that he is "manning" up to it and willing to fix it because at first he was pretty defensive about it

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That just just stupid on a level that I can't even begin to imagine. If you don't mind me asking, what shop did you use?

Brianmly

That just just stupid on a level that I can't even begin to imagine. If you don't mind me asking, what shop did you use?

It was just a local shop in my area, just a "Ma & Pop" place that has a great reputation. I think it was a stupid/lazy moment that is going to take a lot more work to fix....I don't want to throw his name out there yet.

J

JKDream

I could kind of see where the mistake would be made - as the upper gusset is really hard to get past the spring without hammering it in.
The bottom gusset drops into place on the top. But at the same time - they don't fit properly at all.
Good thing they'll honor the mistake though - certainly would suck to be the guy grinding those off!

Brianmly

So what are your thoughts......Have them take care of it before my trip next week (next Mon/Tue is what the plan is).....Or have him cut the bottom to make it even until I get back a week later?

My thought is now, just because he knows this is "time critical", and if I wait till i get back there is no big hurry on his part (which shouldn't matter)....But I don't want to have them mess it up even more and hose me out of my trip.

Judesign

Caught the Bug
I'm sorry but I literally laughed out loud at that. I feel your pain. You work so hard on something and then PAY MONEY to someone to fuck up on that level. Tough since it's a family acquaintance but I wouldn't be able to let that one slide.

J

JKDream

So what are your thoughts......Have them take care of it before my trip next week (next Mon/Tue is what the plan is).....Or have him cut the bottom to make it even until I get back a week later?

My thought is now, just because he knows this is "time critical", and if I wait till i get back there is no big hurry on his part (which shouldn't matter)....But I don't want to have them mess it up even more and hose me out of my trip.

I'd probably wait until after the trip to have it repaired - cutting the upper bracket off is going to be a pain in the ass.
I don't think you need to trim the bottom - I couldn't really see you hitting that bracket.

10abadilla/jk

^^^^^^^^ what he said. I would wait. It takes time to do it right. You don't want to be put in a position to rush and you definitely don't want them to rush a job they couldn't do right the first time. Just go on your trip, have fun, know your limits. And when you get back get it done right no matter the time frame.

Sent from my LG-H900 using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeeeep

Hooked
is that weld splatter slag all over the sides?
the actual welds look like something I would do and I'm a shitty as hell welder.
Chances are your ball joints are shot looks like they just did a solid Weld and didn't spot weld to cool it off with that much splatter.
Honestly if I were you I'd get a grinder grind the welds off, take the gussets off put them on so that you understand how they should fit properly.
go to a muffler shop and have them weld them on, at least they know how to weld properly.
And as mentioned before, you will more than likely need new ball joints

jeeeep

Hooked
^^^^^^^^ what he said. I would wait. It takes time to do it right. You don't want to be put in a position to rush and you definitely don't want them to rush a job they couldn't do right the first time. Just go on your trip, have fun, know your limits. And when you get back get it done right no matter the time frame.

Sent from my LG-H900 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Looking at those welds he may need new ball joints. it would suck big time to go on a trip and have your ball joints fail

Top Bottom