Pinion bearing race help - regear

So I'm doing new gears and everything is out of the axle except the pinion bearing race and outer race. I've tried taking them out using a punch and hammer and hitting the sides, but that was not happening. Can anyone share what they did?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
Use a piece of rebar or steel pipe. They'll come, just beat the shit out of them. If that really doesn't work, you could try an internal puller, but not sure if there would be enough room in there.

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
An actual bearing race punch will make the job easier. The shape of the tip helps concentrate the force of the blow. I spent years not believing this and using round punches. Finally borrowed one once and immediately bought a set.

IMG_0096.jpg

Jeepfan30

Those are a pain to get out. I used an air hammer and it spit them out, and across the shop within seconds. If you don't have access to an air hammer/chisel the bearing race punch is probably the next best thing. They are in there really good, not sure there is a so called trick to get them out. If you can rent an air hammer and a bearing race driver I would highly recommend it...will save you hours of hammering.

Question, what's the bottom number on the pinion stand for? Top is 88 which is the matching number on the ring gear meaning it's a pair.. The bottom says 2619 and I was wondering what that meant.

WJCO

Meme King
Question, what's the bottom number on the pinion stand for? Top is 88 which is the matching number on the ring gear meaning it's a pair.. The bottom says 2619 and I was wondering what that meant.

Is there a decimal point? As in 2.619? Usually that's the pinion depth measured from the EXACT center of the ring gear center to the face/top of the pinion gear.

I can't really depict a decimal in there but I think what your saying about the depth from exact center is correct. Thanks for your taking your time out of your day to answer not only my questions, but everyone else's! Anyone going to TDS?

Top Bottom