Howdy, first post...

Diddle_JKU

Completely new to the world of Jeeps and really want to learn from the ground up. Can anyone here point me in the direction of gaining some mechanical skills and insight? I've been thinking about taking some classes at a local community college too but in the meantime, are there any comprehensive manuals out there for beginners? Want to understand my JK's suspension, motor and electrical on more than a surface type level.

Thanks for reading and thanks for having me!

Judesign

Caught the Bug
Welcome [emoji482]. Spend some time here, work on your own jeep, watch vids online, ask questions. Where are you from and tell us about your jeep.

WJCO

Meme King
Welcome to Wayalife. If you do have a local community college and classes aren't too expensive, it is well worth it. You can learn a ton.

Napalm

Welcome to WAL. While my experience is very limited, it was gained through just diving in and doing it myself
on my Jeep. This forum has some great write ups, helpful people, and great banter.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

klemb

Welcome! To really understand your jeep, you have to drive it, then break it, then buy the "cheaper" parts, then drive it again, have it break again, replace with another cheap part, regret that you bought a cheap. Part, then buy a known good part, then put $1000's of dollars into it, all with a huge smile on your face. Nothing beats experience and the pride and joy to be able to fix it yourself and go where you want to!

Sent from my SM-G935V using WAYALIFE mobile app

boardsurfer

When I was first starting, I just dove in. Bought tools along the way that I didnt have and basically learned as I went. You could pay a shop $800 to do some work, or spend $200 on tools and learn to do it yourself. That's how I rationalized it. ;-) There is almost always a youtube video somewhere for what you are doing not to mention the amazing write-ups found here.

Jump in. Get dirty. :thumb:

rogerk93

Welcome to wal you will learn a lot of reading other people's threads and watching a lot of videos. The biggest is getting under your jeep and working on it yourself

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

tgoss

Welcome! To really understand your jeep, you have to drive it, then break it, then buy the "cheaper" parts, then drive it again, have it break again, replace with another cheap part, regret that you bought a cheap. Part, then buy a known good part, then put $1000's of dollars into it, all with a huge smile on your face. Nothing beats experience and the pride and joy to be able to fix it yourself and go where you want to!

Sent from my SM-G935V using WAYALIFE mobile app

This guy knows exactly what's up.

JeepJeep75

Truth is, working on your jeep yourself is the best way to learn. Working on it includes breaking it too. Don't worry though. There are enough people on here to help you through just about anything you might need. Welcome to WAL!!! [emoji112]

Diddle_JKU

Wow, thank you for all the great replies and welcomes, super nice gang here! So a little about me, my name is Sasha and I have a 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited in the color black. I have been saving money for my first upgrades and am almost ready to begin. I am pretty sure I will go for the best for my budget and mostly go with the name I see out there the most, SmittyBuilt. I am hoping to begin hardcor wheeling so I am wanting to purchase 35 inch tires and new bumpers and a 2 and one half inch lift kit. My wife, Nasia, the love of my life, wants the front of the Jeep thing that makes it look angry but I am uncertain about such a decision as it seems not very tough looking to my eyes! ANy suggestions are appreciated because like I already said, I am new to this! Oh, I live up here in rainy Oregon but really want to relocate to a place with great wheeling and blue skies and more sunshine. Thanks again!

Ddays

Hooked
Welcome to WAL!

Sometimes the best way to learn is to buy something & just install it. Start with stuff that is easy, like replacing simple bolt on pieces. Once you gain enough confidence, move on to bigger & more complicated stuff. One of the great things about these Jeeps is the ease of modifying them.

There is a ton of knowledge on this site. If you have a question just ask. Google is also your friend. If there's something in particular you're looking for just type in the subject your're interested in and "Wayalife" fter it, and 9 times out of 10 you'll find your answer.

Top Bottom