Regear

J

JKDream

Wanting to go from 3.73 to 5.13. Some off-roading but mostly daily driver.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

5:13 is a bit low for 35's. 4:88 with the 3.8 would likely be a better fit.
Also - if you do not have a Rubicon I would not advise running 5:13s in a Dana 30.

RSQCON

4.10 or 4.56 would be a better fit if it's primarily your daily driver. I know ORE was offering a gear package for $1000 so you might be able to find a better price also.

Mybadjk

Caught the Bug
If I only plan to run 35s on my JKU is it worth the $1,400 to regear or is it better to use that money towards upgrading the axles?

My opinion is to save for an axle/s and then switch gear ratios. I wish I did. I regeared mine back in may, and now I'm buying a 44 housing and having that built then buying a rear axle later on this year. Or atleast save up more and lock both axles when re gearing.

zimm

Caught the Bug
It is worth it to re-gear. I went from 4.10 to 4.88 and even that was a big difference in power, shifting, and daily driving.

sipafz

Caught the Bug
If I only plan to run 35s on my JKU is it worth the $1,400 to regear or is it better to use that money towards upgrading the axles?

Wanting to go from 3.73 to 5.13. Some off-roading but mostly daily driver.

Assuming that you have a D30, I personally wouldn't stick any money into it! I also wouldn't put 35's on it either, but that is just my opinion. I know people do it all the time and if your off roading is light and occasional then you're probably ok. Otherwise I would wait on the tires, get a 44 axle first, gear to 4.88 and then the tires.

5:13 is a bit low for 35's. 4:88 with the 3.8 would likely be a better fit.
Also - if you do not have a Rubicon I would not advise running 5:13s in a Dana 30.

This is good advice!

4.10 or 4.56 would be a better fit if it's primarily your daily driver. I know ORE was offering a gear package for $1000 so you might be able to find a better price also.

I wouldn't re-gear to 4.10! If you're going to do it, why not go for the upper end of the performance range?

My opinion is to save for an axle/s and then switch gear ratios. I wish I did. I regeared mine back in may, and now I'm buying a 44 housing and having that built then buying a rear axle later on this year. Or atleast save up more and lock both axles when re gearing.

More good advice!

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug

I am with you on that. I wish I bought the front axle first and just switched gear ratios when ready to install. Instead now I will just weld some c gussets on my factory front "Dana 44" [emoji23] and got to town until I destroy it. In the meantime I will be putting money aside for better axle.
I wish I knew better before. It sucks to learn on your mistakes especially when they cost a lot $$$$

bekel

i did

I went from the stock 3 something to 4.88 and love it big improvement as mine is a DD and weekend wheeler

papasurf

Thanks for the great advice everyone! So it sounds like common consensus is to buy a new front D44 geared to 4.88 and then regear the stock rear to match?

Top Bottom