Repainting the chassis

jcslax17

I'm getting ready to repaint the frame on my jku. I've been looking at using por-15. Has anyone ever used it? Pros and cons? I'm open to suggestions about other products as well

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Spazbyt

Hooked
Por sticks well to rust but not so much to paint or bare metal. It also dries extremely glossy so keep that in mind too. I personally just wire brush the rusty spots and use some flat rattle can paint. Oh and if you decide to por wear gloves! It will stain your hand black for a week and not the grease monkey look but the no one will shake your hands look. Ask me how I know.

Sent from my SM-G920V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Wheatbackdigger

Used it on my trailer frame that I built. It's been sitting out in the elements for two years and looks the same as the day I painted it. Follow the directions. Wear gloves and old clothes. Put drop clothes down if you do it in your garage or on your driveway. This stuff will not come off. Expensive and does have a shelf life. Buy what you need. I brushed it on a left a nice smooth finish

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeeeep

Hooked
I've been using Eastwood Rust Encapsulator .

I'll touch up rust areas as I'm working on other stuff, usually just knock off the rust with a wire brush or wheel if I get ambitious. I haven't done any wiping down with cleaner as instructed but it seems to be holding up anyway.

Testlab

I used POR-15 extensively on my XJ, due to New York winter rust. I had great luck with it sticking to rust, paint, and bare metal. The entire underside and interior ended up coated in it.

Brush application works ok, a roller is a little easier. If you decide to spray, wear a mask. That stuff outgassing on the interior took weeks and was beyond anything I expected in the odor department. Zero chance of driving with windows up.

Also, regardless of how well you prep and think you can "not touch the wet parts", you will. POR-15 is pretty thin if I remember right, and it got EVERYWHERE. Expect 3x more mess than with anything else you've ever used.

As others noted, VERY glossy. If you don't like gloss, plan on rattlecan jobs over the top.

awdtsi

Por-15 works very well. I used it on my axles and its been holding up great. You can now get semi-gloss Por-15 which isn't quite as shiny. Either way I'd top coat it with a satin clear.

Top Bottom