2015 jeep rubicon 35 spare carrier needed?

Adamdrubicon

Hey guys I just got my first jeep a couple
Months ago. It's a 2015 rubicon hard rock. I'm long it so far. I'm trying to get it all ready for the camping season. I've noticed I'm running the stock carrier still with a 35 inch tire that is weighing in at around 110lbs with rim. I don't see any damage to the tail gate yet. I don't think the last owner took it off road. I'm not planning on doing any crazy off roading but I do plan on taking is a lot of camping trips and one nighters. The off set of my wheels push the tire about two inches from the stock bump stops. I extended them today with some hose. What do you guys recommend I do? I do not want to get a carrier that has to swing open before I can open the gate as my wife uses my jeep as well. I was looking at a teraflex setup but I don't know if that would be over kill. I also just read about the failing ones on this forum. Any info you guys could give me would be great. I don't know if the 2015 has a stronger tailgate so maybe I should just leave it. I could not find anyone with cracked welds on a 2015 or newer.

WJCO

Meme King
Welcome to Wayalife. Several members here run a 35 on an OEM carrier. As long as the tire is isolated firmly on the tailgate, it should hold up fine.

USMC Wrangler

Welcome to Wayalife. Several members here run a 35 on an OEM carrier. As long as the tire is isolated firmly on the tailgate, it should hold up fine.

Yep, this! ^^^ I wouldn't waste any money on the TF carrier.

I used pvc and some caps. It's been on a few off road trips and many road miles without any issues since last summer.

IMG_0992.jpg

IMG_0993.jpg

Mybadjk

Caught the Bug
I'd say it all depends on the road type you drive on and if the tailgate has any spot welds popping. I had four of them pop so I bought a bumper/ tire carrier

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Wert7676

My hinges wore out and started to raddle bad. I took my spare off and put it inside the trunk. Since then I have had no tire carrier I will make one when I have time.

Basscat

Hey guys I just got my first jeep a couple
Months ago. It's a 2015 rubicon hard rock. I'm long it so far. I'm trying to get it all ready for the camping season. I've noticed I'm running the stock carrier still with a 35 inch tire that is weighing in at around 110lbs with rim. I don't see any damage to the tail gate yet. I don't think the last owner took it off road. I'm not planning on doing any crazy off roading but I do plan on taking is a lot of camping trips and one nighters. The off set of my wheels push the tire about two inches from the stock bump stops. I extended them today with some hose. What do you guys recommend I do? I do not want to get a carrier that has to swing open before I can open the gate as my wife uses my jeep as well. I was looking at a teraflex setup but I don't know if that would be over kill. I also just read about the failing ones on this forum. Any info you guys could give me would be great. I don't know if the 2015 has a stronger tailgate so maybe I should just leave it. I could not find anyone with cracked welds on a 2015 or newer.

Lots of folks on here run the 35" tire on the stock carrier with bump stop extensions. You'll get varying opinions however. My opinion would be to change to a beefier carrier as soon as you're able to.

If 35s are the end game and you know that for sure there are several carriers that simply replace the stock carrier on the tail gate and will work fine. If that little voice envisions 37s or bigger in the near future or you just want to do it once and not have to do it again I'd go with a bumper / frame mounted version or the basket style.

Brands to consider:

Tailgate - EVO, Teraflex, Crawler Conceptz
Bumper/frame - AEV, Poison Spyder
Basket style - Genright, EVO

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
With the hard rock I would get the AEV carrier. Works with the hard rock bumpers (that's what the hole/plug is for on the pass side of the bumper) it also opens with the tailgate. It will work fine with a 35 or a 37 even.

Or I would get the new EVO carrier that goes on the tailgate. It looks to be a good unit. All of the EVO stuff I have is great quality and strength. It also acts just like the factory carrier.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom