Steering Issue

Rubi_the_jeep

Anybody ever had issues where there is a slight rattling coming from what seems like the inside of the steering wheel going over slight bumps and just after start up?

Also, I switched the front steering stablizer shock to a fox shock because i was beginning to have the 'death wobble' and a couple weeks later, my steering wheel is off center and when it is at center it drifts to the left. Any ideas? Thanks!!!

WAYALIFE 🌅

jeeeep

Hooked
Anybody ever had issues where there is a slight rattling coming from what seems like the inside of the steering wheel going over slight bumps and just after start up?

Also, I switched the front steering stablizer shock to a fox shock because i was beginning to have the 'death wobble' and a couple weeks later, my steering wheel is off center and when it is at center it drifts to the left. Any ideas? Thanks!!!

WAYALIFE ��

changing the steering stabilizer as you've discovered does nothing to solve 'DW' or shimmy in the steering - your stock SS is always the best choice as aftermarket stabilizers tend to push or pull causing drift.

what year is your jeep?

lift?

tire size?

mileage?

Rubi_the_jeep

changing the steering stabilizer as you've discovered does nothing to solve 'DW' or shimmy in the steering - your stock SS is always the best choice as aftermarket stabilizers tend to push or pull causing drift.

what year is your jeep?

lift?

tire size?

mileage?
Thanks for your reply. Its an 09, 3.5" lift running 35" tires and about 85,000 mi. The reason i changed the stablizer was because the previous one was blown once I changed it the DW stopped.

WAYALIFE 🌅

jeeeep

Hooked
Thanks for your reply. Its an 09, 3.5" lift running 35" tires and about 85,000 mi. The reason i changed the stablizer was because the previous one was blown once I changed it the DW stopped.

WAYALIFE ��

with that many miles, your lower ball joints may be shot. we just changed out my buddies cause he was starting to get a shimmy, everything else checked out ok except the ball joints, his upper joints were fine but since we already had everything apart it made sense to replace upper and lower ball joints.

this will help identify the cause:

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?...s-What-it-isn-t-and-What-You-Can-Do-to-Fix-it

Rubi_the_jeep

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As mentioned, a steering stabilizer will only mask whatever it is that's causing your death wobble. More than likely, you have something loose or worn out that NEEDS to be FIXED.

deezus

As mentioned, a steering stabilizer will only mask whatever it is that's causing your death wobble. More than likely, you have something loose or worn out that NEEDS to be FIXED.
I love this thread...I think i might have posted the same thing, but i didnt have wobble, just thought a SS was something i had to have....track bar bolt on the driver side, track bar bolt at passenger side, toe out of adjustment, SS that is installed incorrectly, bent tie rod, bad tires tnese things might be the issue......but a SS will not FIX it, that i do know.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Rubi_the_jeep

Got it. ill take a look at some of those things and see what could be wrong alittle later

WAYALIFE 🌅

Rubi_the_jeep

I would send a video but it wont let me. Anyway, this bar in the picture is shifting up and down when i turn back and fourth. Is this suppost to happen? Thanks! 20170228_205600.jpg

WAYALIFE 🌅

thombull

That is your drag link, and it's OK if it's turning back and forth a little. It's not OK if it's getting longer and shorter as you are turning the steering wheel back and forth if that makes any sense?

Sent from my QMV7A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Rubi_the_jeep

That is your drag link, and it's OK if it's turning back and forth a little. It's not OK if it's getting longer and shorter as you are turning the steering wheel back and forth if that makes any sense?

Sent from my QMV7A using WAYALIFE mobile app
makes sense, thanks! Just trying to figure out whats loose in there. I mgoing to check the track bar tommorow to see if its shifting. Thanks for the help

WAYALIFE 🌅

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Rotation of your drag link tie rod end is totally normal. Shifting side to side or up and down is not. I suspect that is NOT what you are seeing. Regarding the rattle you are hearing in your steering wheel, check your steering shaft at the firewall. There is a rubber boot that can sometimes slip down and allow for slop. That was a very common problem back on 2007-10 JK's.

Top Bottom