new Steering Gear box PSC or OEM with sector shaft brace?

JKU Arizona

Yesterday while installing a new trackbar I notice that my steering gear box is leaking. Now I'm looking into replacing it. Should I go with an OEM style gearbox from Autozone with a limited lifetime warranty for around under $200 (with 20% promocode applied and after core exchange) and then buy a sector shaft brace ?

or shell out the $850 and go with a PSC gearbox?

Will going with the PSC eliminate the need of later on needing (wanting) a Hydro assist setup?

I just recently upgraded tires to 37's from 35s. So now I'm also budgeting for a new tire carrier this is the reason I'm leaning towards a oem gearbox. But if money wasn't a factor of course i would have ordered the PSC once it came out. But I want to do it right the first time and not deal with it again anytime soon.

Or are there any other options.

Thanks!

J

JKDream

Yesterday while installing a new trackbar I notice that my steering gear box is leaking. Now I'm looking into replacing it. Should I go with an OEM style gearbox from Autozone with a limited lifetime warranty for around under $200 (with 20% promocode applied and after core exchange) and then buy a sector shaft brace ?

or shell out the $850 and go with a PSC gearbox?

Will going with the PSC eliminate the need of later on needing (wanting) a Hydro assist setup?

I just recently upgraded tires to 37's from 35s. So now I'm also budgeting for a new tire carrier this is the reason I'm leaning towards a oem gearbox. But if money wasn't a factor of course i would have ordered the PSC once it came out. But I want to do it right the first time and not deal with it again anytime soon.

Or are there any other options.

Thanks!

Couple of things..
Your steering box is not leaking because it does not have a sector shaft brace.
You do not need a sector shaft brace.
A PSC upgraded steering box is only for strength, it will not help your ability to turn on its own.
The best option you have for making the system more reliable is adding a hydro assist ram.

sjd78

Couple of things..
Your steering box is not leaking because it does not have a sector shaft brace.
You do not need a sector shaft brace.
A PSC upgraded steering box is only for strength, it will not help your ability to turn on its own.
The best option you have for making the system more reliable is adding a hydro assist ram.

Actually PSC states their increased 80mm piston gives more turning torque over the stock 70mm piston. How much is hard to say though until the reviews start being reported.

J

JKDream

Actually PSC states their increased 80mm piston gives more turning torque over the stock 70mm piston. How much is hard to say though until the reviews start being reported.
Yeah I read that on their website. Honestly without an upgraded pump I couldn't see the system providing a large enough increase to turn a 37 bound up.
It's still limited by the pump being able to output enough fluid. I'd actually like to see a video of them demoing the product.
At this point I'm a bit hesitant to believe a 10mm upgrade in the piston is going to allow you to turn in the conditions we see.

Last edited by a moderator:

jkwebbie

Yeah I read that on their website. Honestly without an upgraded pump I couldn't see the system providing a large enough increase to turn a 37 bound up.
It's still limited by the pump being able to output enough fluid. I'd actually like to see a video of them demoing the product.
At this point I'm a bit hesitant to believe a 10mm upgrade in the piston is going to allow you to turn in the conditions we see.
When I called them about it when they first announced it, they told me that they highly recommend their upgraded pump with the new steering box. And really with that amount of pressure with the new box and pump, I feel like you would also want to upgrade and get a cooler for it too. Gets a little expensive. Might as well and just get their hydro assist instead and be done with it IMO

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using WAYALIFE mobile app

J

JKDream

When I called them about it when they first announced it, they told me that they highly recommend their upgraded pump with the new steering box. And really with that amount of pressure with the new box and pump, I feel like you would also want to upgrade and get a cooler for it too. Gets a little expensive. Might as well and just get their hydro assist instead and be done with it IMO

Yup - Exactly what I was thinking. Doesn't make sense to go with this kit opposed to hydro assist.
The latter also takes a lot of stress off of the box/draglink etc which negates the need for a larger sector shaft.

JKU Arizona

Yup - Exactly what I was thinking. Doesn't make sense to go with this kit opposed to hydro assist.
The latter also takes a lot of stress off of the box/draglink etc which negates the need for a larger sector shaft.
So going with a OEM style steering gear box and then later adding a Hydro assits be a better option than the PSC gear box with no hydro assist?

Sent from my SM-N920V using WAYALIFE mobile app

J

JKDream

So going with a OEM style steering gear box and then later adding a Hydro assits be a better option than the PSC gear box with no hydro assist?

Sent from my SM-N920V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Yes - hydro assist will take a significant amount of stress off of the steering box and drag link.
That stress is what breaks sector shafts and rips boxes off the frame.

jkwebbie

Exactly! You would be better with just getting hydro, plus I think you would be a lot more happy with the performance of it

jeeeep

Hooked

post #29

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?...eerng-Gear-Box&p=836511&viewfull=1#post836511

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug

The piston is only 10mm larger diameter or 1/8 larger. The torque provided to the drag link will see an increase of 1/8 at any pressure. (100lb turning pressure will become 112.5lb and so on) to me this doesn't seem like a huge difference. This does increase the likelihood of a drag link failure though.
I weighed the options last month and opted for the hydro ram assist kit that PSC offers.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I would go with the psc kit, I recently installed it...have yet to get it on the rocks, but love it so far and question why I waited so long. I thought about their new larger box, but figured it was kinda pointless without the ram.

JKU Arizona

Decided for now to stay with a stock box. Before I order one from Autozon does anyone know if the stock ones could be rebuilt or is there a seal that usually goes bad? The leak looks like it's towards the bottom where the Bolt that holds the pitman arm is at.

Top Bottom